Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stacey

Bella Vista, AR
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  10:56:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it that Walmart is going to a preferred service company model in which only certain companies can call on their stores. Apparently several companies have been advised that they will no longer be able to call on Walmart once the process is completed.

Stacey

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2017 :  3:31:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Walmart tried to do that years ago and found out it wouldn't work.
Some manufacturers have used the same merchandising companies forever and do not want to change to a company that WM wants only to allow in their stores. Also a lot of manufacturers have their own reps and are not about to spend extra money to contract with a merchandise company just to do WM.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  5:17:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like some company or companies are dropping money to certain corporate management at Wally World. K Mart was like that in the late 1990's.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  6:57:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Target is following suit. They have recently contracted with one merch company to service the entire electronics department for them.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  6:58:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'd heard this as well.

I've heard that they want no more than five, and possibly only three, companies to work their products. To me, this flies in the face of Walmart's push to reduce payroll to the point there are almost no employees working the floor besides department managers and the odd stocker or two. Who's going to work all those lines which were being worked by one of the companies that didn't make the cut?

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  3:32:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In my area the only merchandisers that I see on a regular basis are from Acosta, Crossmark, Spar sometimes Premium, and the greeting card people.
I was talking to an employee last week in the celebrations dept and they said that almost all the employees have had their hours cut down to 20-24 hours a week. I gave up anymore when I have to have paperwork work sign of getting a manager after waiting up to 45 minutes and they never show. If they are not in the dept when I get done or close by, I just get a CSM to sign.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  6:38:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This last January, WalMart cut hundreds of jobs at their headquarters and regional offices. They will never be able to complete with Amazon's on line sales, that ship has already sailed. When they raised the wage for employees at some stores to $10.00 an hour, they also implemented a new scheduling system and cut those same employee's hours. They are spending a fortune to install online ordering/pickup stations/towers in some stores as a test to see how well it works out and it eliminates using store employees to retrieve items from the warehouse. What is really pathetic is that they have been making threats to trucking companies that carry WalMart goods to not do business with Amazon or WalMart will have to re-think using them.

What I love is that new WalMart commercial talking about adding jobs to American manufacturing. Meanwhile, 80 percent of Walmart’s suppliers are still located in China.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  6:55:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A part of me is engaging in a bit of schadenfreud with regard to what is happening to Walmart.

In my over 30 years of doing this sort of work, decisions made by Walmart have cost me my job four times. Four times. In each case, the decision made by Walmart helped their bottom line, at the expense of the companies I worked for and their employees.

When was the last time Walmart had to deal with a significant threat to their bottom line, their position at the top of the retail food chain?

Sue, you're absolutely right: Amazon (as well as Lidl's, Aldi's and a couple others) pose a real threat to Walmart's dominance. It will be interesting to see how they deal with the threat. Cutting employee hours makes sense only if you have more, not less, vendor partners to service product lines to pick up the slack. The question is: will Walmart recognize this before alot of folks suffer the consequences of a poor decision?

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Stacey

Bella Vista, AR
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  09:43:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it that Walmart announced only 5 companies will be allowed to do merchandising in Walmart starting in September 2016. Acosta, Crossmark, Daymon/SAS, Premium Retail Services, Anderson. All others will no longer be allowed, including CAST, SPAR, RMS, Advantage, etc.

Stacey
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  6:49:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember the old In Store Services? They were big with Lowe's in the 1990's. One day, Lowe's got the bright idea after an employee cutback, to outfit vendor reps with a red vest. We, as vendor reps said no way, unless we received the same perks and benefits as Lowe's employees. We were not going to represent other product lines except those we were hired to do. Assisting a customer or lend a helping hand was one thing, acting as employees was another. It ultimately ended up with the brown and blue vendor vests. That was acceptable.
I too have noticed that Wal Mart associates are about as scarce as an Edsel. Our local Stupor Center is normally very good for customer service, but lousy on inventory.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  4:56:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can confirm Stacey's list.

Beginning September 1st, all merchandising and service companies other than those five she mentioned, must begin to transition out of Walmart, with the process to be finished no later than January 31st, 2018.

If you are an employee of one of the five companies, Walmart will not permit you to do work in any outlet Walmart determines to be one of their competitors. I take that to mean that I could no longer do any merchandising work in, say, Target, to add a bit of income. I have no idea if or how that might affect mystery shopping, as many of those assignments do require you to purchase something as part of the interaction.

If you are one of the five companies, Walmart will not permit you to service any outlet Walmart considers to be a competitor. ACOSTA, the company I work for, has several teams which represent a particular product line in not only Walmart but also other mass merchants, grocery stores, dollar-type stores and drug stores. I take this to mean that we will have to cease representing those products in those outlets.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  6:12:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, here is a link to the entire article about this. I don't think this is going to turn out well in Walmart!!!

http://talkbusiness.net/2017/07/wal-mart-makes-major-strategy-move-to-streamline-the-number-of-in-store-merchandisers-set-standard-rules/

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  10:19:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think this comment from the article said it best:

"What it boils down to is this, WM is being paid big money to have 5 companies send in employees to work for WM at no cost to WM. How brilliant is that and people wonder how WM got to big???? Can you imagine owning a store and suppliers paying YOU to send in additional help to work in your store. THAT Is exactly what is happening."

WalMart even admits that the department managers/employees were too lazy to put out a product which showed no sales in 100 stores? How incompetent are these idiots?

They are going to be treating the vendors just like WalMart employees now, bossing you around and having the vendors do their jobs for them. Yeah, that is so going to work. Any company that gives up their other clients and or stores for this nonsense is going to be really sorry.

How is it even legal to tell the vendor companies who they can for and who they can't work for/represent at other chains and what chains they can perform work in? Good Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  6:31:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am wondering how many of the smaller merch companies will be smart enough to pick up the other accounts that will be abandoned when WM locks the "big five" out of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

MargieG
Valued Contributor

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  3:58:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Reading the article referenced in BeverlyAnn's post I don't see anything that says the five merchandising companies Walmart picked can't perform work in Walmart deemed "competitors." However, it does say that if you are a merchandiser working for one of these companies in Walmart you as a merchandiser are not allowed to perform work for stores they deem a competitor. On the flip side, those of us who do not want to perform work in Walmart know which companies to avoid.

Margie
MSPA Gold Certifed since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Bert M
Valued Contributor

Sharpsburg, MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  07:41:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just a thought...I as a flex merchandiser at 3 Walmart stores for Acosta, for a grand total of 18 hours a week, am wondering how Walmart is going to know about my other PT job, what chain it is and what product line?

Roberta
Go to Top of Page

MargieG
Valued Contributor

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  09:43:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My suspicion is that Walmart will look to Acosta to enforce that. However just because you're servicing multiple Walmarts now doesn't mean you'll continue. There have been lots of job postings by Acosta in my area that specify individual stores (i.e. you aren't hired as a merchandiser servicing multiple Walmart stores but only one particular store.) It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Margie
MSPA Gold Certifed since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  7:08:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't trust Acosta as far as I could throw them. I guess I have been around too long.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  5:43:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bert M

Just a thought...I as a flex merchandiser at 3 Walmart stores for Acosta, for a grand total of 18 hours a week, am wondering how Walmart is going to know about my other PT job, what chain it is and what product line?

Years ago, I worked for National Marketing Services (actually did so twice- this was my second stint with them). I had been hired on as a seasonal merchandiser to work Christmas and possibly beyond if there was a need...which there wasn't.

My last day with NMS was right after Christmas. After that, zero contact from them. So, I went back and tried to make some money taking on project work. Around April, I had a project that required me to go into a local Toys R Us and resent the children's book section and complete the return. My supervisor with NMS just happened to be there and we spoke. About a week later, I got a letter from NMS stating that I had been terminated because I took on work with another company in a setting which NMS serviced.

It happens.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  5:48:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it that Premium Services, one of Walmart's "Favored Five", is either going to acquire or be acquired by Premiere Marketing, which is not one of the "Five".

If this is true, it would mean that Premier would bring the clients and Premium would bring the access, which obviously makes sense for those two companies.

Two questions arise:

1) how will Walmart react? They made it clear by excluding Premiere that they are not a company WM wants to work them any longer. Can WM do anything to enforce that?

2) how will this affect the other merchandising companies among the "Five"? I know that ACOSTA has been busy trying to sound out the clients whose products will no longer have companies to represent them in Walmart about acquiring their business and has made hires for this new business, and I would be shocked if Crossmark, Anderson and SASR haven't done likewise.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  06:36:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I found out yesterday that a decree came down from Wally's regional management that vendors are no longer allowed to use Wally's shopping carts if they are carrying heavy/large items into and inside store.
The Walmart I service once a month changed the sign in area from customer service desk to an office in the back that is sometimes locked. You have to walk all over the place to find someone to unlock the office, because none of the employees will call anyone over the radio. I won't miss this place if I do get blacklisted, something always comes along to fill the space.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums