Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
400 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  5:23:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Actually, I had read some articles on these robots. In a way, they are an excellent tool to use. It was my understanding that these robots ultimately could scan price labels and check inventory. The report would be sent to humans for adjustments/replenishment. What you described sounds like this is happening.
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  5:19:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert A. Miller
The report would be sent to humans for adjustments/replenishment. What you described sounds like this is happening.

Therein lies the problem. Sending reports to humans for replenishment...at Walmart??? They can't even keep the shelves stocked properly right now. Why would anyone expect that just because a robot requests replenishment, that the humans who work at Walmart will properly take care of it??? Now....if they give the robots the authority not merely to request, but to actually send off for the replenishment, that would help. But then again, once the stock arrives at the store, there's the problem of getting the items scanned and binned properly...by the humans. I just don't think there are enough workers at Walmart who give a rip about it all.

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2019 :  4:03:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, the robots will scan the shelves daily. If the same item is found to be out of stock for three consecutive scans- meaning three days- the robot will automatically order one case of the OOS item. I'm not sure if anyone reviews this action or not, but I do know that the first two scans are subject to review by, I think, cap team members and/or management.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  5:40:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
But even if the robots DO order a case or two of an OOS item, then you have to rely on the actual human Walmart employees to, first of all, BIN the shipment in properly, and secondly, to make sure it's put out on the shelves. The way things are at the Walmarts in my area, that's asking a lot, sad to say!!!

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

LuptonInVirginia
Valued Contributor

Virginia
USA
104 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:24:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I suspect the idea behind these robots is because Walmart assumes people can't do their jobs correctly therefore A.I. is needed to properly control their out of stocks. This also allows them to shrink their payroll even more by cutting employee hours. will it be effective? Probably not in the short term but in the long term it probably will be, after they've sorted out the bugs.

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums