Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
369 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  11:11:29 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
In my senior years, I, like many, have realized that life is a greater shade of tints, as opposed to always being black and white. That being acknowledged, the following will be a departure for me in that I WILL be absolute!

If one opens an e-mail offer of a shop that contains a page or pages of information, but avoids listing the fee, you are wasting your time to investigate the job. If it were the least bit attractive, it would jump off the page.

Bob

EliseSm
Valued Contributor

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  9:49:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get multiple emails from a company explaining their working contract with the job offer at the bottom of the page. They changed their name awhile back to one that just irks me in the first place, because it's confusing and supposed to be a play on words, when it fact it would be a terrific name for another type of business. Never worked for them, and probably never will. They bother me.
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
291 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  11:39:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a company in Texas that likes to call shoppers to tell them about shops that we already know about. They are not the only ones that call, but the most recent for me. I answer the phone with "How much?" It catches them offguard. So I say, "I know this is X, how much are you offering."

Since I am a software engineer and a very analytical/logical person, I would think a MSC would keep data on their shoppers and know which ones require more pay to do shops. This way they don't call if they're not willing to pay that amount. I did get the amount I wanted today, but most of the time I don't. I just say, "Don't bother calling if you're not going to offer X. I have never done it for what you're offering and I'm not going to start doing it now."

Micah
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
293 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  10:37:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What's been driving me crazy lately is I keep getting TONS of emails for automotive-related shops - parking lots, oil changes, car sales/test drives, luxury car servicing appointments, and the like. One MSC seems to send at least five or six of these per day.

I live in NYC, where owning a car is unnecessary and often makes life much more difficult. DOES THE FACT THAT MY PROFILE STATES I DO NOT OWN A CAR MEAN NOTHING?

Why do we fill out the profiles answering questions about our cars and smartphones, and so on, if THEY DON'T EVEN PAY ATTENTION!!!??? They should be adjusting their emails accordingly.

Grrrr.

~~DLampkin~~
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
291 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  11:51:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree it's irritating to see things like that. I'm guessing that maybe they think you might refer a friend who needs it or borrow a car to do the shop.

I remember one time my buddy needed an oil change from a national chain. I asked him how much he was going to pay. He said $30. I told him, I can do it for $15 and borrowed his truck for 1 hour. The shop was heavily bonused, so I saved my friend $15 and got $35 bonus from the shop. I haven't seen bonuses like that in a long, long time.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1886 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  7:40:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That's awesome, Micah. I need to jot down their number and do the same. Will save both of us time.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
369 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  08:42:46 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Periodically, and when time permits, I still investigate an offer that does not include the fee; today was such a case. My reasoning is curiosity but both the time and expense were far too great to be profitable for me. One was a menu collection shop and the other was visiting a comic book store.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
291 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2017 :  9:33:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If the comic book store is the chain shopped by a Sassie company nationwide, then I never bother. That particular MSC always low-balls on pay. I don't have faith that they will change their ways. I believe they are the same company that is struggling to fill the national fast food chain because they expected shoppers to do a shop for reimbursement only and upload 5 pictures. They generously :-) upped the ante to $2 pay and slowly $1 more every couple days. I think they are up to $5 pay now in addition to the reimbursement. They wonder why many of the shops are STILL unfilled several weeks later.

I still wonder if any of these companies when setting the pay ever ask themselves the question "would I personally do these shops for the work expected and the pay I'm offering?" Maybe then they wouldn't waste their time and everyone else's with daily emails (multiple) trying to get people to take them when they know they wouldn't do it themselves for that amount.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1886 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  7:26:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The fast food one is up to $15. I feel sorry for the n00bs who took it at reimbursement only.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2017 :  3:56:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie_WA_Writer

The fast food one is up to $15. I feel sorry for the n00bs who took it at reimbursement only.

They are up to $18.00 in my area for a week now, and they haven't had any takers.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums