Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

CherylK
Contributor

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  11:43:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jason--You do not have to wait for a Form 1099-MISC from Gapbuster to file your tax return. I am assuming you have kept track of your income from the various MS companies (as well as your expenses). All you need to do is fill out a Schedule C (and SE, if applicable) and attach it to your Form 1040. You do not have to attach the Forms 1099-MISC to your tax returns. You should, however, keep them with your return in case you are ever audited.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  11:44:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received a W-2 from them last year. It was handwritten and came from a Georgia address. I think it arrived later than 1/31, but I don't remember.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

CherylK
Contributor

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  1:24:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judi--You shouldn't have received a W-2 from them as you shouldn't be considered an employee of the company. Only employees receive Forms W-2. Independent Contractors (us) would receive Forms 1099-MISC if the income earned from a specific company is over the required dollar amount to file such a form.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  1:53:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes, it was a 1099 not a W-2. Sorry.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

Jahn Z
Contributor

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  2:22:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alternatively, you can always call the IRS and ask them to send you a printout of all the reported income under your name. This works for previous years and I believe it also works for the current year.

Jahn
Go to Top of Page

CherylK
Contributor

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  4:18:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jahn,
Requesting your income information from the IRS for the current year isn't possible. It takes up to a year for that information to become available. You probably wouldn't be able to get 2007 information until sometime in 2009. I worked for the IRS for 15 years--"retired" 5 years ago to have a family. So, unless they've done some major modernization of their computer systems since I left, you won't be able to get 2007 info. for another year or so.
Go to Top of Page

MizzEliz
Apprentice

Springfield, MA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  05:00:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never experienced any problems with GAPbuster, however they do not have many shops in my area.

Eliz
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  5:49:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It does not matter where the company is located. They have contractors doing work on US soil with US companies. They have to follow the US tax laws. If you have earned over $600 with them they have to mail you the proper forms with a date postmarked no later than 1/31/08. If not, report them to the IRS.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

HeatherFish
Valued Contributor

PA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  6:00:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rita Collins

It does not matter where the company is located. They have contractors doing work on US soil with US companies. They have to follow the US tax laws. If you have earned over $600 with them they have to mail you the proper forms with a date postmarked no later than 1/31/08. If not, report them to the IRS.

There is another mystery shopping company I work with from Canada. I never received a 1099 from them, and they said they don't have to send one since it is a different country. I have never had enough income with Gapbuster to get a 1099, but I would assume the same rules apply. I am really just guessing, however.
Go to Top of Page

Jason Petersen
Star Contributor

Dyer, Indiana
USA
413 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  05:59:20 AM  Send Jason Petersen an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I understand that I can file without receiving it. I have records that show exactly what it is going to be for, but thats not the point. I feel better filing knowing that all of my forms are accounted for and everything matches up.

If the company is sending 1099s and filing US taxes, they need to abide by US tax laws, which states 1/31/08. If the company is based out of the country, they are not obligated to file tax information with the US IRS, but obviously as a contractor that completed the shops in the US, you would be...

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping NW Indiana, Chicago's SouthEast Suburbs and Downtown Chicago
Go to Top of Page

Mike Man

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  08:24:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Are there issues with shopping in a foreign country and having/ not having a work permit? If I were to perform a shop in a foreign country and make $10 or $12, would I be required to file a tax return in that country?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MikaVR
Valued Contributor

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  11:31:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikaVR

My application with them just got denied, and I have the same situation, where I see a shop posted over and over again for my town, with no takers.

I wonder why my application was rejected????

Their email said "Certain details you provided don't match Gapbusters requirements"... so I'm really curious as to which details.... that I'm blond? That I'm overweight? That I work in a hospital? What??

It's basically the same exact application that I have submitted at all the other 10 to 20 MS companies and they have all accepted it. I did just start doing MS'ing but so far on all 5 of my shops I've gotten 10/10's.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I emailed to ask why, but havn't heard back. I'm bummed because I go to the post office fequently and I could so easily do the rice one!

I never heard back, and today, after reading the ENTIRE 59 page thread, I emailed all mentioned GAP personnel in the hopes that someone will allow me to work for them. I have never been in a law suit or filed one. I tried applying again, but I now know it will just be disposed of. I see there have been problems in the past (obviously, I read the whole thread) but I still want to work for them. It seems like when it's good, it's really, really good. And when it's bad, well, most of the time (from the posts) things eventually get resolved.

I have now applied to over 70 MSCs and been accepted with all of them. The ones who have work in my area have tested me and found me to be a 9/10 or 10/10 shopper (except for Confero!!!! Blasted! I'm a 8/10, 9/10 with them!!!!)

Let me work for you!!!!!!! Please!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Patty Herbert
Contributor

IL
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  3:58:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the limit of shops you can do for them per day.

Patty in Il
Go to Top of Page

Suzan @ GAP
Contributor

Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
71 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  2:53:20 PM  Visit Suzan @ GAP's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Patty Herbert - The limit varies according to the client.
Please send me a PM, specifying which client you are referring to so I can clarify the exact amount of jobs you are permitted to complete.

Best regards,

Suzan Izzet
GAPbuster Worldwide
suzan.izzet@gapbuster.com
http://www.gapbuster.com/xec/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan @ GAP
Contributor

Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
71 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  2:58:49 PM  Visit Suzan @ GAP's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

Due to a recent payment issues, reimbursement fees were not processed along with the shopper fee.

If you are one of these shoppers affected, please email me directly.

We a currently addressing this issue.

Best regards,

Suzan Izzet
GAPbuster Worldwide
suzan.izzet@gapbuster.com
http://www.gapbuster.com/xec/
Go to Top of Page

CarolynV
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  3:12:15 PM  Visit CarolynV's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wasn't accepted by GAPbuster either, nor Melinda Brody-the only 2 companies (out of the close to 100 that I am signed up with currently), that rejected my application. I didn't hear why I was not accepted by Gapbuster either...

Carolyn
Gold certified MSPA shopper in Oklahoma
Go to Top of Page

BrianD
Apprentice

Geneva, IL
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  5:01:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have done a shop for them, and have scheduled another they seem to be fine and with my one shop OK we'll see when payday comes.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

JuddiHoo

CA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  8:03:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked with GAP for 5 months and they pay direct deposit and pay on time.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  08:16:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is it just my area or are they just not bonusing like they used to? I can't believe they're placing gas shops for reimursement only when another company offers the same shops with a little additional pay. I've been keeping an eye on it and there have not been bonuses near deadlines but the shops seem to get filled. Any info, anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Dar
Star Contributor

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  08:52:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LAlao

Is it just my area or are they just not bonusing like they used to? I can't believe they're placing gas shops for reimursement only when another company offers the same shops with a little additional pay. I've been keeping an eye on it and there have not been bonuses near deadlines but the shops seem to get filled. Any info, anyone?

These are not the same shops the other company has. These are similar but less work and a lot less follow up. If you read a couple/few pages back you'll see this addressed.

They do get bonused just a bit, but are gone very quickly.

Dar
MSPA Gold Certified
~ MSing the Southern USA ~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums