Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

CristiJohnson
Trainee

Arlington, TX
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  2:04:53 PM  Visit CristiJohnson's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finsihed the DaVinci Code and am wondering what to get next.

American Consumer Opinion
Decision Analyst, Inc.

Harry J
Contributor

Smyrna, TN
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  6:27:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading a biography of Alexander Hamilton. I just finished reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

Harry
Newly shopping in middle Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  6:38:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just read "A Darkness More than Night" by Michael Connelly - amazing. He brought two characters from his previous novels together to solve a complex crime. It is great for his fans, but it also stands alone if you've never read him before. The next day I picked up another of his books "Chasing the Dime." I didn't especially care for it. I've read all but one of his other books and loved them, but this was missed for me. I love his books with the Harry Bosch character.
Go to Top of Page

.AngelS
Inactive

Lake Stevens, WA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  7:11:00 PM  Send .AngelS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have just started the new year off with "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I totally recommend it. I am liking it so much that I have purchased it for gifts for some of my family & friends.

Angel-
MSPA - Silver Certified Shopper
Shopping the Northwest
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:28:34 AM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My Bible study did The Purpose Driven Life and journal, we just finished it just before Christmas! I recommend it as well.

I received for Christmas Stephen King's The Wolves of the Calla, which is the fifth installment in the Dark Tower series. LOVE it, and I was especially thrilled to read in the front of the book that he will be releasing the last two books next year! For those of you unaware of the Dark Tower series, he was putting out a new book about once every 8-10 years LOL!

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:35:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Godel, Escher and Bach vt Douglas R. Hofstadter. Hopefully I'll finish it this time around. It's a great book for anyone who likes logic.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

ConnieS
Star Contributor

Matthews (near Charlotte), NC
USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:32:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm in a bookclub, and when we restarted our last rotation in choosing, someone came up with the idea of choosing classics (a tribute to Oprah maybe). Anyway this month, the person chose Catch 22. I read it so many years ago I've forgotten everything.

Since we started our classic kick, we've done Catcher in the Rye, Lady Chatterly's Lover, The Pearl, and the children's book A Wrinkle in Time.

My bookclub consists of 3 published writers, another lady who loves to read fiction, and me (soccer mom type, likes non-fiction books). Can you sing "One of these things..is not like the others..." I joined due to friends and to try to broaden my horizons. I usually don't care the books we read, and these deep meanings that my friends come up with go right over my head. I mostly listen.

MSPA Gold Certification q4rzw0
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  5:32:12 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
We also did a Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren and it was very thought provoking.

Over Christmas break I read Skipping Christmas by John Grisham and Soon by Tim Lahaye. If you liked the Left Behind Series, I suggest reading Soon. Skipping Christmas was a cute one day short book to releave some Christmas stress. Kinda funny.

As for now, I am back at work and school so I am reading books to preschoolers and textbooks and research articles.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLou
Inactive

East County / San Diego, CA
USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:33:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CristiJohnson

I just finsihed the DaVinci Code and am wondering what to get next.
Dan Brown's older book "Angels and Demons" is actually superior (in my opinion) to DaVinci Code. I loved it.
Go to Top of Page

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  09:45:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't get very far in Godel, Escher and Bach before I moved on to It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong. Excellent read. I highly recommend it to anyone.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

JanetW
Star Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  06:10:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I picked up The Secret Life of Bees and reread Balzac and The Little Chinese Seamstress. Both short, both excellent.

MSPS Gold Shopper since Nov. 2002
Shopping New Orleans and Gulfport--points in between and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  7:49:15 PM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm just finishing Michaelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling.

It's a fascinating account of the painting of the Sistine Chapel, along with analysis of Michalangelo himself, and the history of the period. It includes a lot of Papal intrigue, the introduction of Martin Luther, the wars with France, etc. Amazing book!

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

.Carla Thompson
Inactive

Wichita, KS
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  8:38:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading "The Eighth Day" by John Case. He is such a wonderful writer.

Carla Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  10:01:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm reading The China Threat by Bill Gertz, and How Now Shall We Live by Charles Colson.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Harry J
Contributor

Smyrna, TN
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  2:44:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Julie, I like Colson, and that book is pretty good, although it is not the tour de force that Francis Shaeffer's "How Shall We Then Live" was and is.

Harry
Newly shopping in middle Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

LauraS_IL

New Lenox, IL
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  11:29:48 PM  Send LauraS_IL an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Blowfly, by Patricia Cornwell and am almost finished with Hollywood Divorces by Jackie Collins. Both are excellent.

Laura S
south burbs of chgo
Go to Top of Page

Teresa CO

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  5:04:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When the Heart Waits by Sue Monk Kidd Abba's Child by Bennan Manning. Both books speak of searching and finding...the next step in the journey.

I'm looking toward Women Who Run With Wolves.

MSPA Gold Certified
"It will work out." "It will? How?" "I don't know, it's a mystery."
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  03:21:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Harry, I agree with you. The Colson one is a much easier read, though. More "pleasure" reading while Shaeffer's had to be digested . My mom gave each of us (there are 11 of us) a copy of How Shall We Then Live for Christmas 2002, and How Now Shall We Live for Christmas 2003.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  05:54:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Super System" by Doyle "Dolly" Brunson. A fascinating poker guide, published in 1979, but still used by the top poker players in the world (even though Mr.Brunson has changed his stratedgy since this book has been published).
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  06:15:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand, The Presidential Wives, an Anecdotal History by Paul F. Boller, Jr., and Facing the Extreme concerning Ruth Anne Kocour's adventures on a climb of Mt. McKinley. Any more fans of mountain-climbing book out there?? Won't even get on a ladder at home but I love those books.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa_SF
Valued Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  10:45:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm on a Siberia, Russian Far East, Mongolia kick right now. I just finished "Lost In Mongolia", an account of some adventurous men who rafted and kayaked down the Yenisey River, from Mongolia to the Arctic Sea. Nail biting adventure written humorously.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums