Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  11:48:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished "The Door to December" by Koontz, flew through it actually, it was good. Picked up the new Harry Potter book this weekend and should finish it up tonight, lots of twists and turns which is to be expected since it's the 2nd to the last book. Can't wait to see how it ends.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Twila
Star Contributor

TX
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  6:10:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading-
Blue Dahlia and Black Rose by Nora Roberts.
Looking or Red Lily now.
Go to Top of Page

Ang Harris
Valued Contributor

Maryland
USA
239 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  04:29:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't worry make money by Richard Carlson Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  7:04:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hate to tell ya Twila, but Red Lily doesn't come out until late November.
Even though she cranks out books like no author I've ever seen, it still never seems fast enough, does it?

Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  7:43:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Pearl Buck's The Good Earth and Crichton's Prey. Prey was a stinker, IMO. Wayyyy too tedious. I didn't even care what happened to anyone by the end of the story. The Good Earth was great. I don't know why I never read that before. I need to look back to see what other books I have missed.

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

MichelleW.

Milwaukee, WI
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  12:30:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just discovered the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich earlier this month. I am waiting for #6 from waiting list at the library.
Go to Top of Page

JeanH

North San Diego County, CA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  08:43:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished # 10 of Stephanie Plum, Harry Potter and When the Wind Blows by James Patterson. I'd only read The Lake House by him before and liked it, but it didn't prompt me to try any of his others. Really liked When the Wind Blows, so I'll try more of his books now. Right now I'm reading Waiting by Ha Jin, about a doctor in China's Red Army who is married to a country woman his parents urged him to marry when he was young. The whole story is about his relationship with a nurse at the hospital where he lives and his conflict between the two relationships. It's interesting so far...

Jean Hutchins
GOLD CERTIFIED
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  07:08:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any one who enjoys the Stephanie Plum novels will love Lois Greiman's series about a cocktail waitress turned therapist, Christina McMullen.
I just got done reading Unzipped, and it was hilarious.
I also love anything by Amy Tan; (the Joy Luck Club, The Kitchen God's Wife,etc)

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  3:53:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recommend on the Lois Greiman books, Christina. They sound great! I'm going to look for them.
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:46:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok, Nora Roberts fans...I picked up Once Upon a Dream from a local freecycler and read Roberts' short story in it. I'll try to say this as delicately as I can... That stunk. I hope that maybe that was one of earlier efforts? Or a bad style for her? I also got a load of Mary Higgins Clark books in the box. Anyone know about her style before I delve in? They seem to be holiday-oriented, so I may wait a couple months before reading them. Oh, and there is Mount Vernon Love Story, or something like that, about George and Martha Washington. Anyone read that one? I have a couple novels lined up before I start any of those - A Tale of Two Cities (no, somehow I never read that one before) and Márquez' 100 years of Solitude.

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  02:55:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am a die hard Mary Higgins Clark fan. I have read every book her and her daughter have written. They are good mysteries with a little bit of romance in them. Now the Mount Vernon Love Story thing. I think she should stick to mysteries and leave history alone.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Amber J
Star Contributor

Mesa, Arizona
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  03:43:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now attempting again to read the Ilium by Dan Simmons. Had to put it down the first time after first 60 or so pages. Have now muddled through much more and find it quite interesting...3 stories going simultaneously. I have to wait to see how they join in the end and then the sequel.

MSPA Gold Certified

Go to Top of Page

Sandy J.
Valued Contributor

Twin Cities, Minnesota
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  10:25:35 AM  Send Sandy J. an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished the Sun Witch and the Moon Witch by Linda Winstead Jones. There is a third in the trilogy called the Star Witch that is due to be released in December. They are considered "Sensational Romance", with abit of magic and sorcery thrown in. Not deep reads, they were nevertheless enjoyable for the story and romance and just right for summer.

Now beginning Pope Joan, by Donna Cross.
Cross makes an excellent, entertaining case in her work of historical fiction that, in the Dark Ages, a woman sat on the papal throne for two years. Born in Ingelheim in A.D. 814 to a tyrannical English canon and the once-heathen Saxon he made his wife, Joan shows intelligence and persistence from an early age. One of her two older brothers teaches her to read and write, and her education is furthered by a Greek scholar who instructs her in languages and the classics. Her mother, however, sings her the songs of her pagan gods, creating a dichotomy within her daughter that will last throughout her life.

Happily shopping the Twin Cities
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Twila
Star Contributor

TX
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  4:08:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me about the author-Laura Lippman?

Just got one of her books, looks interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  7:42:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kat I will never get over some parts of Patterson's "Kiss The Girls". I just read it this year. Even though its been out forever. There is one part still in my mind. I won't put it here not family friendly.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  06:49:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Dear Irene by Jan Burke and A Life For a Life by Ernest Hill. Now I'm reading the 2nd Irene Kelly novel, Sweet Irene.

Sandra,

Its been about 5 years since I read "Kiss the Girls" I can't remember which part you're talking about. Can you give me a family friendly hint?

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  08:41:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Stephen King's Tommy Knockers, that gave me nightmares for weeks. Just finished Stephen King's Four Past Midnight, a great book with three or four very good stories. (no nightmares this time).

I am in the middle of the book The Number One Ladie's Detective Agency. I don't remember the name of the guy who wrote it, but it is an awesome little read. It is set in Africa, and written in the style of Amy Tan's writing (imo). This guy apparently has a whole series of these books.

I have read a few of Nora Roberts books, and for me, the only books of hers I care for are the "Death" series. (the series with the lady detective and her hunky rich husband set in a futuristic America). I really don't care much for the romance genre anyway though, so, someone else might like her other stuff.

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  3:40:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Goldie, Goldie Hawn's autobiography. Now I know enough to realize that some of this had been carefully crafted for publicity purposes, but I'm finding it very believable. It's just so easy to see Goldie as the little girl who, when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, replied, "I want to be happy."

Debbie Macomber's new book is out, 50 Harbor Street. I am so hooked on this series. Am I the only one who reads her books? This kind of thing isn't my usual fare, but maybe I'd read more of these if more women had her storytelling ability.
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  6:54:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Re: James Patterson's "Kiss the Girls". There is a part in one of his books (I think it is this one) that creeped me out for weeks. Has to do with a snake.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:37:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess I must have blocked that part of Kiss the Girls. If I can find the book I'll have to check it out. I just finished Patterson's Four Blind Mice. I'm rotating Alex Cross and Irene Kelly novels so now I will read the 3rd in the Kelly series "Dear Irene". Then I'll have to jump backwards in the Cross series since I just realized that I have "Cat and Mouse" but never read it.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums