Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  7:35:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanB27

Re: James Patterson's "Kiss the Girls". There is a part in one of his books (I think it is this one) that creeped me out for weeks. Has to do with a snake.
I just got back to this post I forgot about it. Kat, Jan is correct it is the part with the snake. I will never get that out of my mind. there is no way to family friendly that part. Lets just say it was about the most sick thing I have read. Patterson really "crawled" into the mind of a creep.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  4:41:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read a book last week called 'Parting the Veil' by Jay Davis.
It's a little hard to describe, but, I highly recommend it.
It's about a man who has a near death experience, and comes back and realizes that he can see into certain others' hearts.
He is sent back with a mission (of which he is possibly dimly aware), and has to reconcile his every day life, with this new exciting and difficult task.
It's a mystery, and it does explore nde's a bit... it sounds a little spacey, I guess, but, I loved it, and felt chills when I read certain parts.
I cried at the end, but then, I have been known to cry over songs, so, ?
Oh, and it says it's part of a loosely fitted trilogy.
I don't want to give away too much, but, it looks like it's moving in the direction of Stephen King's The Stand.
I can't wait to read the rest!
This could possibly under a lot of my loved ones' trees this year!

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  4:41:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Christina, I just love that kind of thing. Thanks for posting about it.
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  4:58:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" which I highly recommend. It explored lots of ideas, and I hated to finish it. Very different book.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  04:01:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finished Cat and Mouse which made me realize that I had missed yet another early book from this series, ""Jack and Jill". I have that one on order.
Then I read the 4th book in the Irene Kelly Series "Hocus". There are a few more books in the series but this one is beginning to wear a little thin. The author should have spaced these books out a little. So far it's been less than a year and Irene Kelly has had her best friend murdered, gotten a new boyfriend and moved in with him, gotten kidnapped and rescued, gotten engaged, had a serial killer obsessed with her, gotten married and had her husband kidnapped. Come on. This is too much for 10 years but anyone would be in the nuthouse with all of this in about a 10 month span.
Now I'm back to Alex Cross with "The Big Bad Wolf". I'm going to need a change soon. I think I'll have to switch up and read some other authors before finishing these two series.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  08:01:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow!! That is one busy lady!!

I was almost through packing up all my books yesterday when I ran across a couple I had meant to post about in here. I managed to find some...the rest (extensive!) are packed so, will report later!

John Grisham's The King of Torts
Although a lot of his books seem to be either too formulaic (if it wasn't a word it is now!), or a dialogue of his political beliefs couched in a story, this one is really good. Read it if you get the chance.

Those who like Anne Rice books should look into Laurell K. Hamiltons series. She has the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series, and there is another series as well. I don't know the name of the series, but do have the first book; Nightseer. Both series deal with well, the supernatural, and both can be pretty explicit. (sexually). Fun books if you like that sort of thing!

Tim Dorsey's The Stingray Shuffle. Quite a quirky guy is Tim, and has written a very quirky funny book. Lots of action and broadly drawn characters. You are quickly sucked into the action and on a wild ride! Don't miss this one!

Along the same vein, Elmore Leonard's "Maximum Bob" very clever and quirky. Read it quick!

One more off beat extremely funny book is Carl Hiaasen's "Lucky You". The opening line is so strange you'll read it at least twice, and you will be hooked from there. Another strange group of characters you can't help but love or at least be intrigued by and plenty of action!! This is an absolute favorite.

I have Amber Frey's autobiographical book, "Witness" (she was the girl who dated Scott Peterson not knowing he was married, so, imnsho, NOT a mistress!)
It's very interesting to read what was going on behind the story, and to listen as she becomes aware of who/what she is dealing with and how she helps to bring a monster to justice.
A brave single mother who risks her reputation, and even her life to get justice for a lady she never knew, but had instant affinity for.
A smart, scared, yet ultimately determined young lady. I admire her courage and resolve.

One more for those interested in life after death and/or mediums. George Anderson is a man with incredible psychic gifts which he uses to bring comfort to those of us still on this side.
"We Are Not Forgotten" is a compilation of some of his readings. It is comforting and beautiful.
After reading one of his books you may be interested in seeing him yourself. Skeptic? Read it anyway...what could it hurt?

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
Valued Contributor

AL
USA
101 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  07:03:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"(Laurell K. Hamiltons series. She has the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series, and there is another series as well. I don't know the name of the series, but do have the first book; Nightseer. Both series deal with well, the supernatural, and both can be pretty explicit. (sexually)."

The other series deals with Princess Meridith of the faeries. I have to overstate about the sexuality. It is not for children and not for some adults. I am 50 and thought I was a worldly man. Not so I guess, most of the scenes described made me want to go to mass dragging the priest out for confession. But the books are written well. Subjects are Vampires, Werecreatures and necromancy

MSPA Silver Cert.
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
Valued Contributor

AL
USA
101 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  07:10:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading the nameless detective series by Bill Pronzini. It is set in San Franciso area. I just finished Spook. I am a Trekkie, so every month or so, I buy and read the latest Star Trek.

MSPA Silver Cert.
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  07:50:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Paul is correct on the subject of the Hamilton books. I did suggest them for people who like Anne Rice, and anyone who reads Anne Rice will be well aware of some of the 'side roads' these particular books will meander down.

Tell us more about the detective series you're reading...do I want to read it, or not?

Speaking of detectives, one of my very most favorite authors is Robert Parker, author of the Spenser detective novels. Dry, witty, irreverant and fast paced...you will feel like you have known Spenser all your life. (and you may want to spend some more time with him!)
He writes more than the Spenser series but that is a great place to start!

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  11:28:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished re-reading "By the Light of the Moon" by Koontz, definitely one of my favorites and just started on his "Fear Nothing" which I believe is the first book featuring the character Christopher Snow, I have already read "Sieze the Night" featuring that character and really enjoyed it. I also picked up the Frankenstein books by Koontz, has anyone read those yet? They sounded kinda interesting so I figured I'd take a chance.

We also got When the Wind Blows, Lake House and Violets are Blue by Patterson. I read When the Wind Blows before so I am interested in how Lake House turns out, though I've heard it's not as good. I'm very grateful for the warnings on Kiss the Girls. I had planned to read that since I'm working my way through the Alex Cross series but will probably skip that now, I tend to be disturbed by some of the things I read and see and that sounds like the type of thing that would bother me for a long while.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  7:04:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dani-Tigger, Regarding the Patterson book. I read it a few years ago, and still remember that image. I wish I had never read it; I don't need to have all of the ugliness of the world in MY head.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  7:09:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree, as a matter of fact, I pretty much avoided Patterson books altogether after that one.
Quite a bit too too, if you know what I mean...(?)

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  11:37:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm that way too Jan, I watched the movie Sleepers years ago and am still bothered by it, some things you just really really wish you had never let into your head!

~Tigg~
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  8:12:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Koontz and King (Stephen) have both done that to me at one time or another...
I don't read much 'horror' or anything I think will really mess with me.
Although there is a true crime book that has haunted me forever..."Small Sacrifices" by Anne Rule.
I do read a lot of true crime books because I am interested in psychology...
But Diane Downs was just about as sick as anyone could ever be, and I just never could get over the coldness and manipulation that person employed...
If you can get through it, it is a fascinating case study...
Be prepared to never fully recover from this one however...
At least I don't think I will.

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  04:38:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Dying in the Dark which is the latest Tamara Hayle mystery by Valerie Wilson Wesley. I usually enjoy this series but this one wasn't very good. Now I'm reading Six Easy Pieces by Walter Mosley. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one better since the Easy Rawlins series is one of my absolute favorite sbook series of all time.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  07:12:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I generally steer far clear of self-help type books, because I feel they are usually trite and a waste of time.
While browsing the other day, one title really caught my eye, and I just HAD to have it;

Dealing With People You Can't Stand (how to bring out the best in people at their worst)

Wow!!

I'd say it's worth it for the title alone! Brilliant!

But when you get inside, it becomes even more brilliant. It breaks down the different ways people can be nasty to each other, and gives some great insight on WHY some people behave the way they do, and the different approaches to dealing with these people.

I do not get on well with one of my bosses, so, yesterday, just as an experiment, attempted to follow the authors' (Dr. Rick Brinckman, and Dr. Rick Kirschner) advice.

At the end of the night, he called me sweetheart, and thanked me for doing such a great job! WHAT?!! WOW!!

As you read through this book you will see clearly defined examples of people you know in your every day life....and clear insight on what brings on such behaviour. You MAY even see yourself in there as well. (of course, I didn't because I am ALWAYS ever so sweet and...well, yah, actually, may have seen one or two, I could relate to) It will give you ideas on how to curb some of your OWN annoying behaviour also.

I just loved this book, will refer to it often, and am tempted to buy some of the other books these guys put out...

This is a must read for anyone who isn't naturally gifted at dealing with mean/hateful/or just plain annoying people.

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  10:28:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finished "Fear Nothing" and re-read "Seize the Night" by Koontz this weekend, really enjoyed both. Does anyone know if these are the only two in this series? They take place in Moonlight Bay, CA and feature the main character Christopher Snow.

~Tigg~
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  1:11:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been catching up on some childhood classics that I somehow missed when I was a child. I just finished "The Secret Garden" and am almost through "Little Lord Fauntleroy" (both written by Frances Hodgson Burnett). They are a little syrupy at times and I don't always agree with the underlying philosophical assumptions, but they are definitely "feel-good" stories. And I need some "feel-good" stories right now as real life has been not always so good!

While I'm on the subject of children's books, there is a new series just put out by Scholasic books called "The Land of Elyon" chronicles written by Patrick Carman who is local to my area. (I think he even lives right here in town.) He self-published the first book (called "The Dark Hills Divide") which has been extremely popular here in eastern Washington for a couple years now. Now that Scholastic has picked it up, they reissued a professionally edited version of the first book (definitely polished it up a bit) and also issued the second book "Beyond the Valley of Thorns". The next book is expected out in 2006. The neat thing is that Patrick Carman made up the story in serial form to tell his two daughters at bedtime. He had never written a book before, but friends encouraged him to publish the story. I highly recommend this series for children (and adults like myself will enjoy it too!). The central figure is a girl named Alexa who lives in a land where everything is walled in -- not just the cities but the roads too, and no one is allowed outside the walls. But Alexa finds a secret way out, where she learns about a threat to her land which she must stop . . . and she doesn't know who can be trusted! It's quite a good story and has a number of unique elements for the fantasy genre.
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:18:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've still been reading the Alex Cross and Irene Kelly series with a little Walter Mosley thrown in for flavor. I finished London Bridges and Remember me Irene (poor Irene's college professor was murdered in that one). Then I read Little Scarlett by Walter Mosley. I enjoyed that one very much, as I always do with the Easy Rawlins books. I tried to read The Children of Ham by Claude Brown but could not get into it at all. Now I'm reading the last of the Irene Kelly books, Liar, where her aunt is murdered and she's a suspect.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Twila
Star Contributor

TX
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  6:16:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Red Lily by Nora Roberts. Another winner! Does she ever write a bad book?? And I have my wonderful secret pal JEN to thank for getting me Red Lily!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums