Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Donnabella
Star Contributor

Peoria, AZ
USA
369 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  09:09:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Katrina:

Thanks for the scoop on the book. I just went to Amazon to read the synopsis. Looks like she has the same general romance-type theme in this story as well. I usually more of a mystery/thriller reader...LOVE James Patterson and Iris Johansen...but like the drama genre as well:0)

Donna
Shopping the Metropolitan Phoenix Area
Go to Top of Page

Misha
Star Contributor

NV
USA
827 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  6:07:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue Grafton-

G, K, and P
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  12:41:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a question about the books by Sue Grafton that each start with a different letter of the alphabet.Are these books to be read
in alphabetical sequence? I have picked up her books M,P,Q, and R
at booksales.I do not want to start reading the books until I have an answer to my question. TIA

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

KristenNC
Star Contributor

Charlotte, NC
USA
326 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  12:48:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Janette-
the only reason to read the Sue Grafton books in order would be to get a better idea of how the characters relationships are growing/changing. Every book has a different mystery, but the central characters basically stay the same throughout the series. If possible, start at or near the beginning and enjoy working your way through the series! They are great fun...
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  5:01:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jan, no you don't have to start at the beginning and read in order. I started years ago with D, then went back and read the first three, then have read all the others as they came out.

There are two ways you might think of this:
1. Kinsey's life changes over time, of course, so there is a definite sequence to the books. If you read a later one, it won't be like you miss things because you haven't read the earlier ones. OTOH, if you hate knowing in advance that something will happen, you might be less happy to read earliers ones after later ones.

2. I prefer to read in sequence, but I often find it fun to go back and read earlier books if I start a series in the middle. Because then you do know where the character has gotten to, and you have the fun of seeing how they got there without the anxiety.
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  07:13:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
nora Roberts, Jewels Of The Sun

Chell
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  07:27:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All of the Diana Gabaldon brilliant Outlander historic series that are a gazillion pages long and wonderfully written, historically interesting, possibly catagorized as romance but so much more than that. They tell the story of Jamie Fraser, a Scottish Highlander from the 18th century, and his time-traveling wife, Claire. Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  07:05:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wicked, Gregory Maguire

Chell
Go to Top of Page

Misha
Star Contributor

NV
USA
827 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  8:23:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you like good suspense, you HAVE to read "Stealing Faces" by Michael Prescott. You won't be able to put it down.

Go to Top of Page

Andrea S.
Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  11:22:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just read Stephen King's On Writing and I loved it. If you like to write, it's got some great advice. When I go home to my parents' in a week or so, I'm going to rifle through my dad's collection of old King books.

I am currently reading Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I have only read one other book of his, but it is one of my favorites, so I thought I'd try some more.

May I recommend to anyone who is interested in the restaurant business and mystery shopping a book called Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl? She was a dining critic for the New York Times, but she went incognito about half the time. I think her comments on service and trying to come up with scenarios and not be spotted will ring true with a lot of MSers, plus it's just a fun read.

Shopping New York City & Atlanta
MSPA Silver Certified #nanexe
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  07:54:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I , too read Garlic and Sapphires, it reminded she reminded me of Gail Greene The New York Times critic. It was really good!

Now, I am reading Wicked, really a great read, I would love to see the play. Anyone else seen the play? Is it good?

Chell
Go to Top of Page

LanaLou
Trainee

TX
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  6:33:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading an older book given to me by a friend- Dead Sleep by Greg Iles
Go to Top of Page

Bebe
Trainee

Austin, TX
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  08:17:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank You for Smoking.

SILVER CERTIFIED
Shopping Willamson &
Travis Counties
Go to Top of Page

LorrieJ

Portland, OR
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:10:52 PM  Visit LorrieJ's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had been reading serious books for years, and decided to get into some chick lit in the past year. But what I read is a sub-genre of chick lit, known as hen-lit, where the heroine is over 30. These kind of chick lits portray more of real life, but in all its funny ways.

The heroines are not just interested in fashion and boys, like most highly commercialized chick lit books, but about family and other important things in life too.

I am the owner and moderator of a hen lit reading group on the Internet and we're all having a lot of fun reading these kinds of books twice a month.

Lorrie
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  4:11:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hen-lit! That's so funny, LorrieJ! I love it. Do you have recommendations? I'm reading B. Obama's The Audacity of Hope.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

LorrieJ

Portland, OR
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  5:43:01 PM  Visit LorrieJ's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here are some hen lit books my group has already read that we enjoyed:

Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray

Sandwiched by Jennifer Archer

Julie and Romeo by Jeanne Ray

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

The Bestseller by Olivia Goldsmith

Lorrie
Go to Top of Page

Cindy in Indiana
Star Contributor

South Bend, IN
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  11:40:03 AM  Send Cindy in Indiana an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading "Can't Wait to Get to Heaven" by Fannie Flagg. (She's the one who wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe" too.) The book was excellent! An easy read with a light-hearted plot. I recommend it to all.

Cindy
MSPA Gold Certified #hp4ksf

Happily shopping Northern Indiana and Southwestern Michigan since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  7:28:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Liked Cross by Patterson and Act of Treason by Vince Flynn.

Reading Angel Falls by Nora Roberts.

A few weeks ago, I TiVO'd the movie version from cable and will watch it and compare when I finish the book. Book is a no brainer, fun and fast.

I am certain the TV movie will be totally unlike the book version. I never recognize any of the Danielle Steel books when they transfer them them to TV. Kinda fun to see the changes!

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sofia

Argentina
15 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  6:28:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm reading "La femme rompue" by Simone de Beauvoir. I'm not sure what the title is in English ("The Broken Woman" maybe?). So far I like it.
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:54:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow Sofia, that's an oldie. In English it's "The Woman Destroyed." I haven't read it myself, but she is a fascinating author.

I just finished "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. A page-turning fictional account of a school shooting, where the perpetrator was bullied from the day he set foot in school until he eventually turns on his classmates. A great read, with good food for thought.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums