Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  8:07:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading three books simulataneously. Two are huge tomes about Henry the VIII. Since Showtime starts its new series Sunday night (and I've seen the first two episodes online already), I thought it would be a good idea to get some background since I don't know too much about the subject.

The third book is a book about sign language. I learned quite a bit when I was 12, and have forgotten a lot too. It's a good book for the basics.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  9:21:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished "Carved in Bone" & Pretend You Don't See Her" by Mary Higgins Clark & am now reading the the latest Hannibal Lecter book, Hannibal Rising and another Mary Higgins Clark book at the same time. I love to read and do so every chance I get, usally every night when I go to bed. Then the 2nd book stays in the living room and I read it whenever I get a chance to sit down and take a break. (who am I kidding)

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

injeanious Pamela
Star Contributor

Marlton, New Jersey
USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  12:19:12 PM  Visit injeanious Pamela's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm reading "Nineteen Minutes." Great book. I love Jodi Pichoult, her books always make you think but this one definitely makes you look at the perspective of the "bad guy!"

MSPA Gold certified
#rjw696. Shopping South Jersey and Philadelphia.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLanham
Star Contributor

Rossville, GA
USA
327 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  5:59:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am into true crime books. I just read "To the Last Breath" "Murder in the Heartland". I also read "Left to Tell" which is a very inspiring book. "Night", "Children of the Flames" which are both about WWII both of which were very good. "90 minutes in heaven" as well as "23 Minutes in Hell" both of which I highly recommend~!

Mary Lanham
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  11:14:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really liked Nineteen Minutes too, Pam.

Since I've finished that I've read:
Brainiac by Ken Jennings, about Jeopardy and game shows in general. Very amusing read, with quizzes in every chapter so you can "play along."

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen, about two sisters who lead very different lives and a crisis that brings them together. Set in modern day NYC, which Anna knows well. Very enjoyable, and a quick read.

I'm now reading Little Children by Tom Perotta. I believe there is a movie on this book too? But I haven't seen it. I'm about 100 pages into the book, and it's a quick and enjoyable read so far, but I can't say I'm loving it (yet).
Go to Top of Page

Cindy in Indiana
Star Contributor

South Bend, IN
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  3:02:40 PM  Send Cindy in Indiana an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "Water for Elephants". I highly recommend the book. It's about a man who was in the circus during the Depression. It's outstanding!

Cindy
MSPA Gold Certified #hp4ksf

Happily shopping Northern Indiana and Southwestern Michigan since 2000.
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:38:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading Marley and Me...this is truly a great book!

Chell
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  12:57:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Exile by Richard North Patterson. Brilliant.
The Woods by Harlan Coben. Excellent.

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

CarolynNC
Star Contributor

Landis, NC
USA
1204 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  9:24:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

I'm not asleep....I'm checking for light leaks! :)
Go to Top of Page

Bri-in-CA
Valued Contributor

Ukiah, CA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  2:38:05 PM  Visit Bri-in-CA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm just finishing The Last Lovely City by Alice Adams(one of my favorite authors)& starting The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy.

Silver certified & shopping Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino & Lake counties
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  12:11:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just completed Lean Mean Thirteen- by Janet Evanoich. It was very funny!!! Great Read!!!

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  04:10:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow! Just finished Wild Fire by Nelson de Mille. So real...scary - about Iraq and the CIA and the gov't and rich folks. So well written, and he does not just stop when he has reached xxx words for his book quota. So many writers write for the money and stop when they reach quota and sum up 800 pg in three!!!!

Also liked True Evil by Greg Iles. Another great writer.

I also like any book where the editor knows when a sentence begins and ends. Much as I like Danielle Steel fluff, it would be nice if her editor used correct punctuation!

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  04:35:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. Has anyone else read it? It is a wonderful little book and I've been pondering it off and on since I finished it.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

KLynnD

Monroe, WA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  3:41:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've just finished "The Proposal" by Angela Hunt. A very interesting, fiction book about some real scientific research about first pregnancy abortions increasing a woman's chances for developing breast cancer by 30%. At first I was merely intrigued by the simple premise and because it was a conspiracy theory/suspense genre book which I enjoy. However, when I actually read it and then followed up with the real studies cited, I was shocked. This information should be wide spread so that all women can make an educated decision. The female population should be told that this is not only a decision about being a parent or not, but it effects a growing female health issue that can personally hit home years later. Women deserve to be given all the facts so that they can make an educated decision, not have vital information hidden my profiteering industries.
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  07:01:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Due to another post I was thinking about Twila this morning and reading some of her old posts. Sure miss her. Anyway, that brought me to our old 'book thread.'

The Measure of a Mountain is what I'm currently reading. It's a very witty and original story by a man who gets obsessed with finding out all about Mt. Ranier. I'm at the part where he's working up his nerve to climb up instead of walk around. Every paragraph has some clever phrase.

Husband and I also enjoyed Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation dealing with her hobby of researching presidential assassinations and visiting locales associated with them. Doesn't sound funny, but it is.

MSPA Gold Shopper
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  08:14:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm actually listening to 'The Little Friend' by Donna Tartt. I've been listening while driving around. I just love listening to books on tape.
Donna Tartt wrote my favorite book of all time - 'The Secret History'. Anyone else read it?
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  10:16:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been reading a lot of James Patterson lately. Just finished 7th Heaven but now I am reading "Miracle in the Andes" I like suspense, mysteries, some biographies & true crime but will read just about anything in a pinch. Favorite authors are Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Johnathan Kellerman & Bentley Little. But I can never find any books by Little. I usually have to buy them online.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  7:42:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am currently reading "Just Too Good To Be True" By E. Lynn Harris, he had a book signing here on Monday.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  8:41:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Finished Miracle in the Andes. Starting Judge & Jury by Patterson.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  10:18:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just started reading Merle's Door

Chell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums