Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  4:15:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Fire Ice by Clive Cussler. Not one of the Dirk Pitt novels, but I am really enjoying it. He ties current events back to the days of the Romanovs.
Go to Top of Page

Jen_in_MD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  07:37:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Bees. It's a wonderful novel, and I'd highly recommend it. I've got the Davinci Code waiting for me on my nightstand.

MSPA Gold certified: #5bqyg3
Specializing in hotel, spa, and fine dining evaluations throughout MD, DC, and Northern VA
Go to Top of Page

BethZ
Valued Contributor

Ellijay, GA
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  09:36:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Einstein Syndrome by Thomas Sowell

BethZ Happily shopping North Georgia and silver certified
# rnxu51
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  1:56:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Native Dancer (even better than Seabiscuit, but I've had to "read" it on tape due to shopping. A great overview of the 50's world of horseracing when Native Dancer was judged one of Time's People of the Year! A nice guy-novel,Goodnight Nebraska by Tom McNeal and Brett Butler's pity-party Knee Deep in Paradise - useless book, great title.
Go to Top of Page

.Allison near Toronto
Inactive

Toronto, ON
Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  2:52:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finally saw and enjoyed (well, I don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word! ) the movie "Mystic River" so I am now reading the book. I am also reading "The Man in the Iron Mask", because it is the only book by Alexandre Dumas I have yet to read! I usually don't like to read two books at the same time but they are both keeping me engrossed!

Allison
Go to Top of Page

EmilyPWa
Valued Contributor

Willard, UT
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  2:56:10 PM  Send EmilyPWa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I decided to go for classics this year! I just finished To Kill a Mocking Bird. I has been a few years since I last read this book. I loved reading it again! My next book is Tom Sawyer which should be great fun!

Emily
Now shopping in the Ogden UT area
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

ConnieS
Star Contributor

Matthews (near Charlotte), NC
USA
396 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  3:30:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This month's book club selection is Persuasion by Jane Austen. It was the last book she wrote before she died (or so says my book jacket). After reading the first 20 pages or so, I can see why - she was bored to death. I hope it picks up some.

MSPA Gold Certification q4rzw0
Go to Top of Page

.Allison near Toronto
Inactive

Toronto, ON
Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  3:59:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

Allison
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  12:06:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Purple Cow: Transform your business by being remarkable, by Seth Godin

It seems quite interesting...so far. It is a marketing book, about the "remarkable" success of businesses like Krispy Kreme, Jet Blue, Starbucks, ect. I like reading marketing books to learn new concepts, that I can easily apply to my business.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  3:42:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What is everyone reading? In the last 2 weeks I have read the following:
Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz
Envy by Sandra Brown
The Rule of Four
I have enjoyed all but the last book, The Rule of Four. It was a little disappointing. The reviews compared it to The DaVinci Code so I got excited. It was really more of a coming of age, college buddy book. Let's keep this thread ongoing, so we can get some ideas for good reads, and some reviews.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  4:21:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani. It was pretty good.
If you like books about small town America, she has a three book series [Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon]that is AMAZING. She grew up close to here, so she talks about things that are familiar to me.

Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  4:28:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh, the hottest book at the store where I work for the week is the just released 9/11 Commission Report. I don't know how they do things so quickly, but it was released the same day that the commission released their findings. Very interesting read, if you are into such things.

Sharon again!

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  4:36:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Right now I am reading "Inside Rikers" by Jennifer Wynn. Its a fascinating look into New York's jail and prison system. A couple weeks ago I took a 1 week vacation for the first time in my life. I had nothing to do and nowhere to go so I read Madelaine L'engle's "A Wind in the Door", "Swiftly Tilting Plantet" and "A Wrinkle in Time" (sometimes I like to revisit books from my childhood). I also read "Its a thin line" by Kimberla Lawson Roby and "Always True to You" by Valerie Wilson Wesley (if you like mysteries try her Tamara Hayle series). It was a great week. I don't remember when I've been able to get so much reading done!

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  07:03:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last nightI finished The Taking by Dean Koontz. Good book. Great author, only every now and then I'm not too pleased. Good example, The Face, too long and rambling. Wordy and ambiguous. It got good reviews but I thought it was terrible and usually love anything written by him.
I'm going to start an older Stephen King novel today, Dreamcatcher. He's one author that is either hit or miss. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'll let you know.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

KristenH
Star Contributor

Palm Springs, CA
USA
382 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  8:20:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This month I've read the latest Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novel, an old Sidney Sheldon favorite (Rage of Angels), John Adams, Writing for Magazines, The Ultimate Spy Book, and I'm starting Blow Fly by Patricia Cornwell. Classes don't start until the end of August for me, so I read as much as possible during the summer.

Cristi, If you haven't read Angels and Demons, I would suggest reading it next.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Jonny
Valued Contributor

Southwest, NM
USA
114 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  8:40:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was clued into a Libertarian Sci-Fi writer, L. Neil Smith...
I read his "Forge of the Elders" a couple weeks ago. Then,I went and bought a group-lot of a bunch of Robert Heinlein books,
and have been going through them in the order he wrote them...
The Puppet Masters, Space Cadet, Rocket Ship Galileo...now Red Planet...
on my way eventually to his award-winning "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
and the original Uncut "Stranger in a Strange Land", but school starts
in about three weeks...better hurry...

Thanks Be to God
He Reviveth the Thirsty Land...
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  3:54:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Just finished it. Okay, better than some of his other books, at least it didn't get to whacked out. Sometimes you can read one of his books and it seems like half way through, he has lost his direction? Trying to figure out what to read next? I went to our brand-new library and bought a couple of used books. Choices, choices!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  4:55:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "The Blue Nowhere" by Jeffrey Deaver. It was very good (as most of his books are). As usual in a Deaver book there was a surprise twist at the end.

Bonnie, glad to hear you liked Dreamcatcher. Its been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple years and other books keep getting skippped ahead of it. Maybe I'll give it a twirl soon.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne O.
Contributor

Long Beach, CA
USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  4:45:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. It's an absolutely amazing book! I went out and bought a copy for everyone in my family and said you must read this!It's a story told by the wife and four daughters of an evangelical Baptist who takes his family on a mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959. It's an epic of the family's tragic undoing and remarkable reconstruction over the course of three decades in postcolonial Africa. It's a little slow in the beginning, but I couldn't put it down once I got into it. I carried it everywhere I went.

Suzanne O.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  5:02:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow that sounds like the movie "The Mosquito Coast". I wonder, any chance if the movie based on that book. I'm almost positive that was the same scenario. Maybe not? Was the father in that movie a minister or an engineer that just wanted to escape from civilization? The movie was very strange I remember.
I'll have to check it out at the library.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums