Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Suzanne O.
Contributor

Long Beach, CA
USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  5:21:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've seen Mosquito Coast and it's not the same, in my opinion The Poisonwood Bible is even better. I'm heading to the library tomorrow myself to check out another of Barbara Kingsolver's books.

Suzanne O.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  5:37:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Suzanne. I'll go to the library tomorrow and hopefully get the book.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Shasha
Valued Contributor

MS Gulf Coast
USA
241 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2004 :  9:06:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My Life-Bill Clinton

Purpose Driven Life by Richard Warren

shasha

mystery shopping along the mississippi gulf coast & mobile, al
mspa silver certified
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  05:39:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If anyone reads business books for enlightenment (or even fun), Good to Great by Jim Collins is really quite informative.
I am reading it for work, but there is some very interesting information in it!

Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Jonny
Valued Contributor

Southwest, NM
USA
114 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  9:56:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heya,
just wanted to chime in for Barbara Kingsolver...
I was introduced in an American Lit. class....
You will fall in love with "The Bean Trees", followed by
"Pigs in Heaven"...
I have "Poisonwood" on the shelf...it's nice knowing I have a treat to look for'ard to

Thanks Be to God
He Reviveth the Thirsty Land...
Go to Top of Page

TomB
Apprentice

Seattle, WA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  4:58:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Moneyball, The art of winning an unfair game..

great book about the strategy of building a franchise in baseball.. focus on the 5 tools of a baseball player..
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  5:18:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As far as popular reading goes, last May on my flight to--and from-- Aruba I read a book called, "The Lovely Bones". Very good.

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  8:52:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I must say that many of you read very worthwhile books! I've been reading mostly light stuff these last several months, cozy mysteries and such. Angels and Demons (the "prequel" to The Davinci Code) is about as involved as it got, although I'm beginning to get back into deeper things.

Right now, I'm reading:
Strange News from Another Star by Hermann Hesse (the one who wrote Steppenwolf and Siddhartha. I've got his Peter Camenzind to read when I finish.)
Anna by Dagfinn Gronoset, the biography of a Norwegian woman who lived a very hard life on a farm in Norway, doing the work of man, woman and ox.

I tried Reading Lolita in Tehran, the true story of a woman's book discussion group in a repressive Moslem society, and it's good, but I'm just not up for all that literariness right now. I'll hold it for when the time is right.
On a similar note, I'm on the waiting list at the library for Carmen bin Laden's book about her life and family -- yes, that bin Laden family.
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  9:06:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Would it ruin the thread for me to admit that the only thing I've read these past few weeks is Vanity Fair magazine? It's kinda like reading a book because the articles are so long, and who knew that Jessica Simpson has an IQ of 160 (at least, according to her mama).

A colleague gave me Purpose Driven Life, so that is my next book. It looks and sounds like something I need right now.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  4:55:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm at the Library right now. My computer died. I checked out The Poisonwood Bible and Pigs in Heaven. I'll be back to let you know how I like them.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  12:09:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read more mysteries than anything, but I can't read the kind where they get graphic about what happens to the victims.

I just finished The Fractal Murders by Mark Cohen. It's his first book, the first of a series. It has intellectual elements but isn't hard to read -- it's very light.

Carmen bin Laden's book, Inside the Kingdom arrived (I had it on reserve at the library) and now I'm deep into that. It's her story, not Osama's, and it would be interesting reading even if her last name wasn't bin Laden.

Nothing subversive in it, at least not from an American point of view. From a Saudi Muslim point of view, there's a lot that's subversive: her walking across the street by herself even though she was fully veiled, her wanting more freedom for the women, and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  7:07:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am re-reading, for about the third time, a book titled "...And Ladies Of The Club", by Helen Hooven Santmyer. It takes place in the immediate post-Civil War era and on into the 1930's. It is a slice-of-life type of novel, focusing on the lives of characters residing in a town based on the real-life town of Xenia, Ohio. My paperback is about 1400 pages, but this is a novel that seems meant to savored every few years.
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  09:36:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Currently I'm reading Fatal Gift by M. Michael Frase. A neighbor lent it to me with high praise, but so far I'm not too into it.

I'm halfway through Home Buying for Dummies but I don't think I'm going to make it. We need to make an offer NOW and I can't read fast enough.

I usually plow through authors all at once. I've been working on Richard North Pattterson, and some books I've loved, like Degree of Guilt and Eyes of a Child, but others were so boring I returned them half finished.

"Let's shop til we plop!" "You mean shop til we drop?" "Whatever!"
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  3:20:29 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Source by James A. Michener

I'm up to about page 200 of 1000+. Liking it so far.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  4:43:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks ago I finished reading the last book in the "Left Behind" series, by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. I think there were 10 books? Now I'm waiting for the prequel and sequel! Anyone out there read this series? Makes you think.

I also read "Soon" by Jerry Jenkins (the writer of the "left-behind" series). Good read, but it seems like this book should be one of a series as the last third of the book seemed to lose focus.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  5:32:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray, The Source, by James Michener is just about my favorite book of all time. The Covenant, also by Michener, is another excellent read.

Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  05:21:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Making of a Quagmire by David Halberstam - don't know how I missed it before now. It's an analysis of how we arrived at defeat in Vietnam.

Willie Morris' New York Days - the New York City literary world in the 60s.

In fall nostalgia always rules me so I'm rereading A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean. It's in my top ten ever good books and I can remember the year it came out and and laying in the porch swing in this kind of weather. I could hear the phone ringing inside, but was on the river with the brothers fly fishing and just couldn't be interrupted by life.

MSPA Gold Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  05:38:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This week I read "The Surgeon" and "The Apprentice" by Tess Gerritson. Both books were pretty good mysteries.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  5:27:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, I read the entire Left Behind series. There are 12 books. The last one came out last spring.

I doubt there will be a prequel, as what would be the purpose? There can't exactly be a sequel, as it ends with Christ returning and the thousand years of paradise on Earth. He was actually pretty vague about depicting that. I'd guess partly because it's hard to imagine how it would work, and also because it might be something better left to the reader's imagination.

But there's a parallel series for kids/teens, telling the same story from their perspective. I think that might be interesting to read.

And Tim LaHaye has started a new series, too.

By the way, there's a website with a message board for this series and related topics. You might find that very interesting to read.
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
Valued Contributor

AL
USA
101 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  8:29:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have just finished Trace by Patricia Cornwell. Also, you should try Linda Howard.

MSPA Silver Cert.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums