Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  09:16:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "Roses are Red" and the sequel "Violets are Blue" by James Patterson. Both were pretty good. Before that I read "And Still We Rise" by Miles Corwin. It is non-fiction about gifted and talented students in South Central LA. I found it inspiring to read about the environments and difficulties that the students had to overcome to graduate from highschool and go to college. Now I am reading "Bad Boy Brawly Brown" which is part of the Easy Rawlings series by one of my favorite authors Walter Mosely.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  11:35:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been into mysteries lately. In the last week I've read,
The Maze
Hemlock Bay
The Cove
The Edge
Eleventh Hour
all by Catherine Coulter.
Good books, entertaining.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  11:40:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kat I love James Patterson! I love the Alex Cross mysteries, "Kiss the Girls" "Along Came a Spider" "The Big Bad Wolf" ect. I think I have finally read all the Alex Cross books. He also wrote "When the Wind Blows" and "The Lake House" and they are kind of like science fiction, very different from his regular mysteries.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  09:06:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie,

I enjoyed them too. I noticed that while I was reading them my 14 year old nephew was reading "The Big Bad Wolf". I might be able to get that one from him when he is done. I also have a Patterson book called 1st something or other. It's not an Alex Cross but I will get around to reading it eventually. If you like Patterson you'll probably also like the Lincoln Rhymes series by Jeffrey Deaver. They are similar to Patterson's but in my opinion there is more action and there is always a surprise twist at the end.

Thanks Ray for linking the book titles in some of the posts to Amazon. That makes it really easy and convenient to check out the books that people recommended.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  6:32:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've been into mysteries lately.
I am always into mysteries. The series I've been reading lately is by Fiona Buckley, set in the time of Queen Elizabeth I. I've always loved the Tudor era, and I like her detective, the queen's lady-in-waiting, Ursula Blanchard.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  07:54:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Riptide" by Catherine Coulter

"Final Target" by Iris Johansen

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Christina WNY
Inactive

Buffalo, NY
USA
305 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  07:37:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, I'm with you on Catherine Coulter. I really enjoy her stuff -- it's interesting and fun to read.

I am currently reading (fiction-wise) "Blessed are the Cheesemakers" by Sarah-Kate Lynch. Only on chapter 2, but it's good so far.

I just finished reading "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. I have been meaning to read this for a couple years now. I enjoyed it very much... a fresh take on a classic "mystery" book. Next time I see that coveted bookstore shop, I'll buy the next in the series.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  5:36:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"The Search"
"Long After Midnight"
"Firestorm"
all by Iris Johansen and all very good. I love mysteries.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  08:25:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone read any of the Mitford Books by Jan Karon they are just great. I read most all of them but a few of the shorter ones that are not exactly in the series. There what I would call companion books. I like Bonnie mentioned like James Patterson too. I like a good scare now and then. I have read eveything just about that Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter have written.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  08:27:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me Sandra. I started the first book in the series and somehow lost the book. Oh boy! More books to put on my must read list from the library!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  2:08:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandra, I read the Mitford series several years ago, although I don't think I have read the last two books in the series. They are a nice, light-hearted read. Perfect for when you want to read something that won't depress you! I also loved reading the series because the story takes place in the little North Carolina mountain town where we vacation in the summer!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  02:59:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Natalie I started with "Shepherds Abiding" last Christmas and I was hooked on Mitford. I wonder if any more are coming out. I heard they had a short story that was new but I like a novel something I can sink my teeth into so to speak. Bonnie you will be hooked too.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  05:21:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone Read the Irene Kelly mysteries by Jan Burke? I read "Bones" a couple years ago and have been looking for others since. I'm just wondering if anyone knows which is the first book and what order they go in.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

GeriLynn
Contributor

OR
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  03:47:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to my library's search results for that author- if you want to figure out the order of the books:

Jan Burke

or at Amazon:

Jan Burke

GeriLynn
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  06:13:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"The Face of Deception" by Iris Johansen, another good book.

"Blow Fly" by Patricia Cornwell, what a major disappointment! It's not often that I will stop reading a book, but I was tempted with this one. I kept thinking it would get better. She jumps around with different plots and sub-stories, and never really explains any of them. The ending was terrible. This book had so much hype when it first came out and I can't figure out why. This is the first book I have read by this author and will probably be the only. Sad.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

JennyW
Valued Contributor

Bartlett, Tennessee
USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  06:36:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If anyone out there likes historical fiction I highly recommend A Voice in the Wind and An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers. These are two of a three-part series. They are set in the first century around the time of the fall of Jerusalem. Very powerful story - and a page-turner (I ignored my husband for a whole weekend while I read them! )

MSPA Silver Certified 7/21/04 #oitvxn

Shopping Memphis, TN and loving it!
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  10:05:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lynn,

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I will be able to sort the books out since I really enjoyed the one that I read.

I finally started on Stephen King's Dreamcatcher but haven't had much time to read with holiday shopping and all the OT I am working.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:44:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "Fat Tuesday" by Sandra Brown, good book.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  12:27:58 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since I happen to be on Christmas Vacation for two whole weeks I actually have time to read for pleasure. I am reading the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by mark hadden.
It is written in the perspective of a teenage boy who has Autism and how he tries to solve the mystery of the dead neighbor's dog. It gives you some insight into how a person with Autism thinks and how the brain works. For example, the chapters are not numbered with ordinal numbers, 1,2,3,4,5,.... but prime numbers, 2,3,5,7,11,13,17.... He also draws things in the book to help describe what he cannot secribe with words. It is quite interesting. I teach young children, some with Autism. This book gives insight into what they might be like 10 years from now, as well as how different situations affect them completely differently then they would to me presently.
Go to Top of Page

Maria H.
Apprentice

CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2004 :  4:01:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Recently I started taking public transportation, it's been a blessing, I get so much more time to read. Some times I read several books at a time, and others just one. Right now, I'm reading one of my "comfort" authors: Dean Koontz "Odd Thomas", it follows suit with anything he writes.
Previous I read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", really terrific. Another recommendation is "The Life of Pi" and James Patterson mystersy collection (in my opinion intended a little heavily for women) "1st to Die", "2nd Chance" and "3rd Degree".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums