Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  5:15:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's been a while since I've looked at this thread, too.

Bonnie, a much-belated thanks for responding to my question about Tim LaHaye's new series. I had asked because I'm not sure I want to read more of his stuff. That's why I wanted to know what it was about first. I can only stand so much Christian fundamentalism. (I'm Jewish by birth and upbringing, and an atheist by belief.)

I've been zooming through another series, a mystery series written by Sharan Newman, set in 12th century France. The heroine/detective, Catherine LeVendeur, is a young woman scholar who leaves the convent (before taking vows) to marry. Her Christianity is very important to her -- but her father is a Jew who was raised Christian. The series gives a wonderful look at Jewish-Christian relations, at her father's journey of self-rediscovery and the feelings of the others in the family. But it's also a great peek at life in general during that time and some very tantalizing mysteries into the bargain.

Most recently I read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (daughter of Clifton, for those who are familiar with him). It tells the true story of the clash between caring US doctors trying to practice Western medicine on an epileptic Hmong girl and her parents, who are illiterate, spoke no English and believed more in the skills of their own culture's shamans. It's a sad, sad story. Everyone cared, but miscommunication (due to both language and culture) caused tragedy for the little girl. The book is more than just her story; a huge chunk of it is the history/anthropology of the Hmong culture -- not light reading.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  06:21:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I found a new author (new to me) I just love.
Nora Roberts.
First I read "Northern Lights", a very good story about a Policeman who feels responsible when his partner is killed. He becomes very depressed and decides to leave everything behind and become the Chief of Police in a very small town in Alaska. Of course there is a little romance and of course an old murder mystery. Very good read.

Next I read "Midnight Bayou" which was completely different. It takes place in the South. A lawyer decides to give up his practice in Boston, move down south and use his skills to "fix-up" an old mansion he bought. And of course there is a little romance. Also an old unsolved disappearance and mystery surrounding the mansion. Add to this a little hint of re-incarnation and you have a great story.

This morning I finished "The Three Fates", another very good book. It tells the story of three small silver statues of a Greek myth and how everything is interwoven. The first statue is supposedly lost when the Luisitana sank off the coast of Ireland. It wasn't lost though as it was stolen right before the ship sank and the thief survived. Eventhough some might have called him a crook, he performed a very heroic act before he fell into the water. He saved a lady and her son by giving them the life jacket he came upon and this is how the story begins. I don't want to tell anymore as I wouldn't want to spoil it.

It has been a long time since I enjoyed reading "romance" novels. This author does a fantastic job of making her characters come to life and weaving a great story. I so enjoyed all these books so much, I hated it when I finished. I'll have to go the library today and get a couple more.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Dawny
Trainee

Saint James, Missouri
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  4:50:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie in Burbank..

Welcome to wonderful of Nora! I absolutely love her and to be honest, I have *all* of her books. It's an addiction for sure.

Be sure and read Montana Sky, Honest Illusions, and Public Secrets. Those are my absolute favorites.

She also writes under a pen name JD Robb. She writes a series with that name. Those books are almost better than her "normal" books.

She's also THE nicest person. I've met her quite a few times now at book signings.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  07:57:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Help! Someone please stop me! I can't stop reading Nora Roberts.
I have read 4 of her books in the last week.

Birthright, about a female archaeologist, her discovery of her illegal adoption, murder and of course love.

Carolina Moon, about a girl who suffers from child abuse from her father as a young girl, her "second sight", and old murder (and current ones) and of course love.

River's End, the story of a little girl who was the only witness to the murder of her mother, her father's conviction of the murder, her life living under the protection of her grandparents in the Pacific Northwest, and love.

The Reef, about a female Marine Archaeologist, treasure, murder, adventure on the "high seas" and love.

I can't stop! I'm going to the library as soon as they open today to get more.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Terri73
Star Contributor

IL
USA
329 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  08:18:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading "Kiss Me, Kill Me" by Ann Rule. I love Ann Rule, she is a true crime author who once worked with and associated with Ted Bundy.

Bonnie, I have two Nora Roberts books that I have never read-The Villa and Chesapeake Blue- I guess I should read them.
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  11:00:12 AM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, where do I start? I won a box of 27 books about the Kennedys from e-bay (total cost: $14.99). So I've been reading those like crazy. I'm also reading tons of stuff for grad school. I haven't read a fiction book in weeks! Anyways, my most recent reads:
The Other Mrs. Kennedy by Kerry Oppenheimer
The Day John Died by Christopher Andersen
Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye by Kenneth O'Donnell and David Powers
Where are they Buried and How Did they Die? by Tod Benoit

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  2:30:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here I go again. I read 3 books in the last week by Nora Roberts. I can't stop!

Montana Sky- Montana. Mercy Ranch, 25,000 acres. The owner, a much hated man dies. Who will inherit the ranch? He has 3 daughters (who have never met) from 3 different wives . Willa, the youngest was brought up on the ranch, her mother died in childbirth. Lily, the middle daughter, a victim of an abusive ex-husband. Tess, the oldest daughter, a screenwriter from Hollywood. The will is read. He's leaving the ranch to all three daughters-the catch, they all have to live on the ranch for 1 year or everything will be donated to charity. Murder and of course, romance. Another good book.

The Villa- California Wine Country. Four generations of Italians have worked the fields of their beloved Vineyard. They merge with MacMillan Vineyards. Blackmail, murder mystery and of course, love. Another great read.

Chesapeake Blue-Family, blackmail,love. Great read. (I was just looking at the jacket and discovered that this was the final book in The Chesapeake Bay series. The others are Sea Swept, Rising Tides and Inner Harbor. I'll have to read those too. But even if I don't, this was a great stand alone book).

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  3:49:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, Kelly, you're really into the Kennedys! Why the fascination?

Weird for me to think of them as "history" when I lived through it. I was three when JFK was shot, but I still remember it. My mother adored him and thought Jackie was the epitome of good taste. I can remember reading biographies of the family in grade school and thinking it was weird to be reading the lives of people still alive, as Rose and Bobby were then. And then hearing in art class that Bobby had been killed.

This month I'm slogging my way through two rather long books:
Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham and The Source by James Michener.

I'd always avoided the first, because the title sounded soooo dreary, but another book I was reading referred to it and it sounded good. It is surprisingly readable, a story (so far) about a boy born with a club foot and orphaned. He's brought up by his aunt and uncle, sent off to school to study for the ministry and instead heads off to Germany... well that's as far as I've gotten. I can see the underlying "human bondage" in some of the characters, but happily, I'm long out of school and won't have to analyze the book.

As for the second, I'd started it as a teen and given up. It's over 900 pages, full of looong run-on sentences and even longer descriptive paragraphs. I've always loved Michener, but this is not a page-turner. Still, so many people love this book that I want to see what makes it so great. There is some thought-provoking stuff in it and it's getting better as I get farther into the book.

I confess to taking a break from these two and re-reading a Mrs. Pollifax book because she always cheers me up.
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  5:46:49 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished the new Weight Watchers book "Weight Loss that Lasts" - Break through the 10 big Diet Myths. It was an intersting read, but most of it, I get from going to WW meetings and using common sense.
Go to Top of Page

MariaA
Valued Contributor

Bowling Green, KY
USA
214 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  4:59:49 PM  Send MariaA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished "Kiss me while I sleep" Linda Howard
Now I've started "To die for" also by Linda Howard.
Her and Lisa Scottoline are excellent authors!!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  10:37:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished 2 more books by Nora Roberts.

Sweet Revenge and Public Secrets. Both very good.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  7:34:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ten days later, I am still reading Michener's The Source. He should have titled it Misery Through the Ages instead. I'm on page 509. I cannot understand why people so love this book. Did they actually read it? I'll soldier on through another 400 pages just so I can be done with it.
Go to Top of Page

KerriM
Valued Contributor

La Jolla, CA
USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  3:56:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
About a year ago, I started reading the Aubrey-Maturin seafaring adventures by Patrick O'brian. They're great!! Recently, the omnibus edition came out (with all 21 paperbacks in five hardcover volumes! for only $100!!) and I really really wanted to get it, but the reviews kept mentioning some horrible editing. I was in a quandry.... until I found all the paperbacks in a lot on ebay! I won the auction yesterday morning and I'm spastically checking my mail. I'm not allowed to open the box until I finish my grants though.

Hmm... I shouldn't allow myself on volition until I finish my grants, either...
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  10:13:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay. I finally read a book by Nora Roberts that wasn't that good. Well, it was entertaining but not her usual. "Hot Ice".

So, I took a break from Nora Roberts and read "Blind Alley" by Iris Johansen, "an Eve Duncan forensics thriller." Very good, although it should have been called a Jane MacGuire mystery, as this is the first book where she is really the main character. There is a new book due in April which is also "starring" Jane MacGuire. I'll be looking for that at the library.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  04:42:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been going through a dry spell with books. The last two books I started and never finished. First I tried to read Breathing Room by Patricia Elam. It was about 2 best friend. One dealing with estrangement from her husband by cheating. The other dealing with her 15 year old daughter's impending loss of virginity along with the wall that she has built around herself. I made it about 1/4 of the way through and realized that I just didn't care about these characters.

Since that was a dismal failure I decided to go with one of my favorite authors & Series, Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series. I started "The Vanished Man". I got about 1/2 way through that and realized that for the first time I just was not enjoying a Lincoln Rhyme novel. Maybe I need medication.

I am now reading "Rosemary's Baby" by Ira Levin. I saw the movie a couple weeks ago and decided that since it had been on the shelf for a few months I would give it a shot. I think I'll finish this one. I love comparing books and movies. So far I'm finding that the movie stayed pretty true to the book with only a few ommissions.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

MindyG
Star Contributor

Goldsboro, NC
USA
251 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  06:30:40 AM  Visit MindyG's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown over the weekend. It's excellent. Next I'll read The DaVinci Code. There is a sequal after The DaVinci Code that will soon be ready to pre-order, but I forget the name of it

Mindy Godinez
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  8:01:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The next book Dan Brown book is called The Solomon Key. Unfortunately, it won't be released until sometime in 2006.

Sharon Q

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:26:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished yet another book by Nora Roberts.

"Irish Born" which is really a trilogy of the books "Born in Fire", "Born in Ice" and "Born in Shame". I think this might just be the best book of hers that I have read.

The books are about 3 sisters, Maggie, Brianna and Shannon. Of course it takes place in Ireland. It was so good I started limiting myself to only reading a few chapters at a time to make it last. It's amazing how she masters the art of writing and is able for you to visualize everything so clearly. You really feel like a character in the book.

Well, I'll be starting a new Nora Roberts book today. Hope it's as good as this one!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  04:17:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finished Rosemary's Baby and enjoyed it pretty well. I decided to go for something different this time so now I'm reading Mario Puzo's Omerta.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  09:18:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished The Narrows by Michael Connelly. WOW. Combines characters from Bloodwork, The Poet and his Harry Bosch series. And he does it in such a way that even if you didn't read the others you won't be lost. But, if you have read the other books it is all the more amazing. I was sad to finish it because he next book won't be out until May. Police dective themes. Really good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums