Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
307 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  7:53:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I feel so old! Nora Roberts has been writing for over 20 years, since her Promise Me Tomorrow was published in 1984. She is a writing INDUSTRY and is great. She is one of my favorite authors. I feel so old because I am reading this thread and you all seem to have just stumbled on her. She's one of the most prolific authors out there-publishing a New paperback and a new hardback,usually at the same time.
I am so happy that so many of you have found her! She is great and, she has written Tons (hundreds?) of books in the last 21 years. Check out 1stchoiceusedbooks.com or abebooks.com for lots of her titles in print or out of print that are AWESOME!
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  7:19:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Whew! I finally finished The Source, by James Michener. It took me weeks to get through it. Not because it was 900+ pages, but because it was so boring and so full of misery. And page-long paragraphs, and paragraph-long sentences. It got better towards the end, and there was some thought-provoking stuff in it, especially the dialectic-style dialogs between the rebbe and the Israeli soldier, and between the Israeli and the American. It could have been several hundred pages shorter.

So now I'm easing my brain with my favorite fluff author, reading Debbie Macomber's The Shop on Blossom Street. Like all her books, it's relationshippy. The shop is a yarn shop. The characters are the owner, a two-time cancer survivor, and three women who take a knitting class from her. These are a rich society type who has given up on her husband's love, a bright career woman who desperately wants a baby and is facing her last chance at fertility treatments, and a young punk-type girl from the wrong side of the tracks who's knitting for charity as a way to do her community service after a drug bust. Naturally, each of them has a man in her life and issues... what a welcome change from the other book I'd been reading.
Go to Top of Page

DeborahW
Star Contributor

Bellevue, WA
USA
779 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  07:35:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gone to Soldiers by Marge Piercy. I am a fan of some of her other books, so I thought I'd give it a try. A little serious for my normal bedtime read, but very good so far.

MSPA Gold Certified
Specializing in hotel, restaurant and bar shops in Seattle and the Eastside since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  1:13:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Laura_In_Az, don't feel old! I'm 52. I'm the one who "just" discovered her! I haven't read "romantic" novels since high school. Back then, I couldn't get enough of Victoria Holt, Norah Lofts, ect.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
307 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  8:29:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie in Burbank. I am 52 also. I also read Victoria Holt, and Phillis Whitney and Mary Stewart. But, I kept reading all the 'trash' romance authors when I was young so discovered Nora Roberts at a relatively young age. Check out Susan Elizabeth Phillips. My favorite title is Nobody's Baby But Mine. She has the same snappy dialogue as Nora Roberts but with more humor.

Bonnie-I just read your earlier post. Seaswept is, in my opinion the BEST of the 4 books-C. Blue being the last. Enjoy them-I think the 1st three better than the fourth.

....and check out Susan E. Phillips. You will like her alot.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  09:19:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been busy reading since 3/31.

Today I finished "Hidden Riches", by Nora Roberts. Another great read!

In the last week I read 2 more books.

"Homeport", by Nora Roberts and "Sanctuary", by Nora Roberts. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

Thanks for the tip on author Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Laura. I'm going to the library at 10am and I'll see if I can get some of her books.

Laura, it's nice to meet you. I'm glad I'm not the only 50+ Volition member!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  4:44:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas". I loved it even though I could almost see the author watching the movie "The Sixth Sense" and getting his inspiration. The book is kind of like what happens to that Sixth Sense kid when he's a little older. It really held my attention and I hated to put it down when I had to.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  10:56:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "The Donovan Legacy" by Nora Roberts. It is actually 3 separate books, "Captivated", "Entranced" and "Charmed". Very enjoyable book about modern-day witches, mainly about 3 cousins each with a different "gift". Morgana has the gift of "spells" (for good only). Sebastian the gift of "sight" (he helps the police find missing persons, ect. Anastasia the gift of "healing".
I think there is another book or books that continues the Donovon Legacy?

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

.TammySGilliam
Inactive

Bourbonnais, IL
USA
139 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  1:03:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Michael Moore's book Will They Ever Trust Us Again, and also Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.

Take care,
Tammy G.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  4:06:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished "True Betrayals" by Nora Roberts.
Yet another good book.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  1:19:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished a couple of books.

"R" is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton was a downer, IMO. I wrote my first-ever review at epinions.com on this book. If you want to read it, here's the link:

http://www.epinions.com/content_180202475140

I'm told only members can see it, so you'd need to register (it's free) and log in.

Finally got my hands on the book by Allision DuBois, the woman on whom the TV show Medium is based. It's not listed on epinions, so I can't write a review. I found it very interesting, but written more like a very long magazine article than a book. MORE DETAILS, PLEASE!

It mentioned Nancy Reagan and her book, My Turn. This was published back in 1989; it's not a new book. I've often wondered what went on in this woman's head. She seems the epitome of conservative respectability, the quintessential '50s wife existing in the '80s and '90s. Well, she is that, but she's more complex than that. She actually is an intelligent woman. She's also not as rigidly proper as she appears. Her mother was an actress, and she of course had her own time in Hollywood. She's more open-minded, more loosened up and more real-person than I'd ever given her credit for.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  7:23:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "Genuine Lies", by Nora Roberts. Yet another fabulous book. She is an incredible writer of fiction.

This story takes place in Hollywood. An aging , yet still beautiful, movie star decides to tell all in an authorized biography. She chooses the author. She insists that the author and her 10 year old son stay in the guest house on the grounds of her huge estate.
Eve Benedict, the star, is a living legend. She has survived 50 years in the business. She has many stories to tell and secrets to share. All of the people that surround her and have had a "history" with her don't want the book to be written.

Mystery, murder and romance. What else can you ask for in a good fiction.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

ValerieAk1
Valued Contributor

Woodbridge, VA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:14:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Just found this thread. I am not happy unless I have a book in my hand. I love Nora Roberts. Bonni, there was another book in the Donovan series, but I can't think of the name. It is about a cousin and came much later than the original 3.

I just finished the 10th Janet Evanovich book in the Stephanie Plum series. Anyone read her? I poured through all 10 in about 3 weeks. They were so funny. If you read her who do you prefer of Ranger or Morelli?

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:26:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've read them all Valerie. Morelli or Ranger, hard choice.
Have you read Metro Girl yet?
A friend just loaned it to me but I have 8 books from the library to read first. 4 more Nora Roberts and 4 J.D.Robb. As fast as I read, I'll be able to get to Metro Girl in no time!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:53:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm a big Stephanie Plum fan, too.

For me, there's no contest. It's Ranger all the way! He is just so cool, sooooo sexy. But I really don't see Stephanie ending up with him. She and Morelli are destined for one another.

Bonnie, I haven't read the other series, so please post what you think when you finish your book.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  2:12:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa, I'll let you know as soon as I'm through with all these library books!

Finished 2 more books by Nora Roberts, "Divine Evil" and "Carnal Innocence". Wow. I just looked at those two titles and realized how strange they sound. Good books as usual.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  2:32:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok, after all this talk about Nora Roberts I felt very out of the loop and looked for one of her books. It had a very "Harlequinny" look to it so I put it back. I am definately not one who enjoys a good romance. Will I like her anyway?

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

ValerieAk1
Valued Contributor

Woodbridge, VA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  08:39:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura,

You might like some of Nora Roberts books, but not others. She has several different styles. Some are romances like the Born in Fire, Born in Ice, series. Some are more mystery/romance like Divine Evil and The Reef. Then she writes as JD Robb. Those might be more your speed. My husband read a couple and said they were ok. He would not dream of reading her other ones. The main character is a cop and they set about 50 years in the future. The cop does have a love interest, but I would label them suspense I guess. Do you read Lisa Gardener or Iris Johansen? I would say they are little in that genre.

Do not buy any of her books that have 3 or 4 stories in them. Most of those were actual Harlequins at some point. She still writes for them occasionally. Personally I love all her books, but everyone has different tastes. Happy reading.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

KrissyB
Contributor

Pasadena, MD
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  6:12:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am on page 495 of How Ya Livin by Jonathan Luckett. I met him on a cruise given by the author Zane. He has been asking me to finish the book so I can give him a review. His book is over 600 pages. It is really good, very intresting details. Not for the average person though. Its really racy, if you know what I mean.

silver certified ha1itk and proud of it!
Shopping MD counties AA, PG, Baltimore, Howard and DC
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:37:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
KrissyB,

You went on a cruise given by Zane? I read one of her books after beings advised to read her by several males (that should have been a hint). I'm almost afraid to ask for details but what kind of cruises does she sponsor?

I just finished "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella. If you're looking for a light read thats fun, its pretty good. Not quite up to Bridget Jones standards but it was amusing.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums