Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

ValerieAk1
Valued Contributor

Woodbridge, VA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  10:05:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Has anyone read Undead and Unwed, and Undead and Unemployed? Those were silly books. I loved them.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  11:08:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (DaVinci Code).
Could not put it down!
Go to Top of Page

JeanH

North San Diego County, CA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  3:56:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also love the Stephanie Plum series. The scenes with Stephanie and Lula crack me up every time!

Finished a great book a couple weeks ago - "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon. It's a fictional narrative of a high-functioning autistic teen boy - a fascinating reminder of how we all have different "intelligences".

Just started Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons - too soon to tell...

Jean Hutchins
GOLD CERTIFIED
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  07:03:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the last 2 weeks, I finished another 4 books by Nora Roberts.
"Honest Illusions", "Private Scandals", "Sacred Sins" and "Carnal Innocence". All very good.

Yesterday I started the 1st book in the "In Death" series by J.D. Robb. I am wondering if it's necessary to read these books in order?

So, if any one has read any of these "In Death" books by J.D.Robb, will you please let me know. I'm almost finished with the first book.

Thanks.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  10:50:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote

Bonnie,

I'm so glad you pried yourself away from Nora Roberts. You were beginning to worry me.

I started reading a biography of a woman who's name I can't remember. It's called Mafia Wife. She was married to a member of the Gambino crime family. Its slow going since she actually startes at the beginning of her life, which I could truly care less about. Its the mafia stuff I want to get to.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

KerriM
Valued Contributor

La Jolla, CA
USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  12:32:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Jean:
I read "The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" recently too. And I thought it was great. It was a fairly accurate account of some types of autism (the author has done alot of work with autistic kids). It was a delightful read, funny and honest and touching. I highly recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  3:59:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Kat!

Only one problem. Nora Roberts is J.D Robb!
Different style of writing and stories.
Bad news though. It seems like I should read this series in order and the library only has her 1st book in the series and the last 4. I'll have to get them at a used book store.

I did read a book over the last 2 days that wasn't Nora Roberts!
It is called "Sympathy Between Humans", by Jodi Compton. This is her second book, the first was "The 37th Hour". I haven't read that one yet. They both feature Detective Sarah Pribek as the main character. Fiction. Mystery.

This book was unusual. At times I liked it and other times I was frustrated. There were many twists and turns and I liked the surprises. I think the one thing that really bugged me is how she never really tells the story of her husband. He is in prison, it's never mentioned for how long, or why she has not seen or even written to him. He was also a Detective and left to become a FBI agent.
Anyway, it was entertaining, although ....

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

JeanH

North San Diego County, CA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  10:12:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
KerriM -
So glad to hear of another fan of "the curious incident..."

I finished Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons - not fascinating, but a good girlfriend book, following the lives and relationships of five women who start a book club.

Jean Hutchins
GOLD CERTIFIED
Go to Top of Page

KristenH
Star Contributor

Palm Springs, CA
USA
382 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  07:18:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This month I have managed to read a few books in between my merchandising, mystery shopping, college, etc.

This morning I finished the second of Barbara Seranella's series featuring "Munch Mancini". Can't wait to see the TV series based on her character.

The latest paperback by Janet Evanovich and Charlotte Hughes "Full Bloom" (the Max and Jamie series with "Fleas" the dog)...very cute.

8 ball chicks by Gini Sikes- about girl gangs (excellent book but leaves you feeling a little scared) I wrote to the author and not only received a personal note back, but also received a letter from one of the girls featured in the book.

and The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

can't wait til June when the newest in the Stephanie Plum books comes out...

Go to Top of Page

.TammySGilliam
Inactive

Bourbonnais, IL
USA
139 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  2:28:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished a book called Four Crows. Has anyone else read this book??? It is a new one that is out.

Take care,
Tammy G.
Go to Top of Page

Terri73
Star Contributor

IL
USA
329 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  12:13:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading Dr. Phil's Family First right now. So far so good.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy J.
Valued Contributor

Twin Cities, Minnesota
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  1:15:15 PM  Send Sandy J. an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone read the Sweet Potato Queen's Guide to Love? It is hilarious. Best laugh I've had in a book in years. I just finished listening to it on tape.

I also just read Douglas Peterson's Codex. Pretty good, fast read. Indiana Jones type story of missing inheritence and the three brothers who have to find it.

Can't wait for summer. The books are stacked up waiting to be read.

Sandy

Happily shopping the Twin Cities
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  07:45:43 AM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now that I'm FINALLY done with school for the semester, I can read for pleasure again. I'm in the middle of 3 books right now, and have a huge stack waiting to be read! I'm currently reading:
American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies by Michael Kauffman, Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House by Sally Bedell Smith, and London Transports by Maeve Binchy. I have a big stack of Kennedy books and a smaller stack of Lincoln books to read, plus some other history books and a few novels. (I am VERY picky about my fiction!)
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:16:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tammy, how 'bout some details on the book? Who wrote Four Crows, what genre is it, what's it about, why did you like it?

Sandy, Codex sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'll read it in the next month or so and post back.

KellyBear, I wish you much enjoyment with your Kennedy and Lincoln books. I don't really understand how someone can read a bunch of books on the same story, but then, I've read more than one book on Elizabeth I of England and lots of different accounts of traveling the Oregon Trail.

I'm reading The Caverns of Socrates, which I read some reviews of on epinions.com . It's SF/fantasy. A group of experienced virtual reality gamers is going to enter a total virtual reality controlled by a computer. In the VR, they don't even know they're them; they're the characters. The book shifts between their fantasy adventure and the VR lab. The epinions reviews complained about the writing quality and the lecturing on mind-body, etc. in the lab parts of the book. The writing is actively bad in places, but the story is good, and the lecturing is needed because it is a conceptual book.

Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  05:04:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Bill Cosby's Childhood and Dean Koontz's The Face. The Face was a page turner even though it turned out to be kind of dumb. Now I've started James Patterson's 1st to Die. Its my first time reading one of his books that is not an Alex Cross.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:24:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Pop Goes the Wealsel adn the Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. I also just read Life Expectancy by Koontz, I really enjoyed that one. Now I'm all out of books to read and really need to order some more, I hate not having anything to read.

Also tried to read Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy. I just couldn't get into it.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  09:50:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dani-Tigger,

I just read the synopsis on Life Expectancy yesterday and decided that I need to buy it. Have you read Odd Thomas? Thats another one of his recent good ones.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  10:32:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes I really enjoyed Odd Thomas. Everyone once in awhile I'll read one of his books and not like it but for the most part he's one authors I will grab every book I see. False Memory was another really good one of his. Very freaky.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

CETillman
Valued Contributor

LA
USA
162 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:39:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna be reading on "Together Is All We Need", "An Ancient Strife"
and "A New Dawn Over Devon" all by Michael Phillips this month. Seems like they are gonna be some very good reads. I just started Together is all we need last night and it's very interesting....two girls that are friends but are split up due to color but you can feel the love and loyalty already. An Ancient Strife takes place in the old Scotia(Scotland) back in the day and a New Dawn Over Devon is about the Rutherfords of Devon that still have hopes after the ravages of war in England. If I can ever get off the puter I think that I will truly enjoy!

Cheryl Tillman
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  09:04:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kat you'll be thrilled that I have read 3 books in the last 2 weeks that were not written by Nora Roberts!

French Kiss by Eric Van Lustbader. Very good book. Combines mystery, power, the Vietnam War and the Opium pipeline.

Still Life with Crows by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Another good book. Murder and mystery. Small town in Kansas. Corn. Indian legend. Disturbing at times, but a good read.

The Mummy or Ramses the Dammed by Anne Rice. Very good book. Not the typical mummy story.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums