Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What book(s) are you reading this month?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  4:26:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie,

I'm so proud of you! Keep it up. How did you like the Anne Rice book? I tried to read The Vampire Lestat years ago and couldn't get into it.

I finished 1st to Die and ran out yesterday to buy 2nd Chance. I won an Ebay auction for a lot of 7 Patterson books that includes the book 3rd Degree. I will probably read some others in between. I'm also bidding on some Koontz books and a couple from Jan Burke's Irene Kelley Series. I want to read them in order so I can't start the series until I get a few more books.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  5:36:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Kat.
The Anne Rice book was very good. Easy to get into right away.

I haven't read the series that begins with 1st to Die by Patterson.

I forgot to mention that I read another book by Dean Koontz called Frankenstein. The second book in that series is due to come out this month. It was pretty good. I'll definitely get the next book.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  10:00:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finished another book on Monday, Beyond Recognition, by Ridley Pearson. This is the first book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it very much. I will be reading more of his books.

This was about a Police Sargeant investigating a serial arsonist who also targets women to die in the fire. Twists and turns in the plot made for a very good read.

Yesterday I finished The Codex by Douglas Preston. Wonderful book.

The story is very entertaining and adventureous. It begins with 3 very different brothers brought together by their father for a family meeting. The only problem is when they all get to his "compound", the father has disappeared and along with him, a fortune in ancient books, artifacts, gems and old master paintings. I don't want to give anything away so I'll leave it at that. I very much enjoyed this book.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  06:13:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "The Cabinet of Curiosities", by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Another good book. Mystery.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Sandy J.
Valued Contributor

Twin Cities, Minnesota
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:26:02 AM  Send Sandy J. an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Walter Cronkite's autobiograhical "A Reporter's Life". <sigh> I miss hearing his distinctive voice and being able to trust a reporter. The book was quite good and a trip down history memory lane.

Just beginning The Spice Box by Lou Jane Temple. It's a new series featuring a spice box and its travels through time and cooks, each with a mystery to solve, debuts with Bridget Henry escaping Ireland's Great Famine to New York, and her cooking cum crime-solving venture. The author is a caterer in Kansas City, MO, and author of the culinary mystery series featuring Heaven Lee.

Happily shopping the Twin Cities
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  3:06:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yipppeeee my puppy bought me a new book for my birthday so now I have more to read It's Koontz's "The Taking" just started it last night, really grabs your attention from the start. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Big Nora Roberts fan, she's awesome.

Also really liked the Vampire Lestat books, I found them pretty easy to read and enjoyable. But I have always liked almost anything vampire related.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

PennyC
Star Contributor

GA
USA
658 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  3:22:01 PM  Visit PennyC's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is actually an interesting history of the Revolution.

I wonder what British readers think of it though?

PennyC
MSPA Gold Certified 5/04
Shopping Gwinnett, Hall and Jackson Counties in Georgia
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  4:20:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finished James Patterson's 2nd Chance then read Jonathan Nasaw's The women He Adored. Now I've started Dean Koontz's The Mask.

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  4:18:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never read the Mask, I'm going to have to go out and find it. Just finished The Taking (Koontz), really interesting, definitely a page turner

~Tigg~
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  4:50:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
then read Jonathan Nasaw's The women He Adored
Interesting title -- I haven't heard of the author. What's that one about?
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  5:23:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Someone here mentioned Angry Women Eating Bon Bons, and I liked the title, so I read that one. It's a little slow moving, but a good read. I would think the title would warn away men, but just in case - it is definately a chick book. LOL.

I am going to get back to Prey now. I'm finding it tedious so far, but I suspect I will be scared soon enough!

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  5:30:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tigg,

So far The Mask is slow and not terribly interesting but I'm only a few chapters in.

Lisa,

I screwed up the title. It is actually called "The Girls He Adored". It is about a guy with numerous multiple personalities who kidnaps women with strawberry blond hair. He is captured but escapes and kidnaps the psychiatrist that was evaluating him. It also follows the screwup FBI agent that is trying to catch him. It was a pretty interesting book. Apparently the author wrote two more books about the same FBI agent. I probably won't read those since I didn't find the agent terribly interesting (I actually skipped some of his chapters all together).

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  5:49:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually managed to read Prey, skipped much of it, way too much technical info for my taste but overall it was certainly interesting. Not really scary though, but interesting enough.

~Tigg~
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Nidia
Apprentice

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  10:38:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone here at Volition. This is my first post.
Currently, I am reading Fatal Cure by Robin Cook. I'll be finishing it soon so I've been scanning this topic for more book suggestions. So glad to be here.
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  6:13:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, Nidia, and welcome!

We'll all look forward to more of your posts. Let us know what you decide to read next. And what did you think of Fatal Cure?

Thanks, Kat. I'll forgive you for screwing up the title. ; > I don't like serial criminal kind of books, so I'll skip it, but I appreciate knowing about it.

I finished the latest by Katharine Hall Page a few days back. She write The Body in the... series about Faith Fairchild, the caterer and minister's wife. I can't even remember the title; this one was depressing, both the mystery and the subplot about Faith's life and that of those around her. It's set in Cambridge, MA, because Faith's husband is teaching at Harvard's Divinity School for a semester, but there's no flavor of academia at all. I think this is the first book of hers I haven't liked.

Now I am actually subjecting myself to a Harlequin novel because it's a new line, Eclipse, which is supposed to the Gothic novel concept updated for today's women. I adore Gothic novels. I expected it would be the usual Harlequin writing, so bad it makes me cringe. This is even worse than usual; the writer doesn't understand how to write romance.

Really, since any hack can write one of these, I highly recommend cranking out Harlequins for SAHMs who want to earn their extra income when the baby is napping.
Go to Top of Page

TanyaGA
Contributor

Stuart, FL
USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  10:53:12 PM  Visit TanyaGA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am currently reading Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins. It's one of his older books.. I believe it's his second book. I am reading that leisurely. I have read other books and finished them while reading Tony Robbins' book..

I see a lot of Dean Koontz fans!! I love his books. I haven't read much of his newer ones because I have been into other books but I still come back to him..

Any John Saul fans??

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  7:54:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am reading a mystery "Irish Cream" by Andrew M Greeley. This has been a series so I will go back and see what I missed. This is my first book by him. I am also reading "Come Spring by Tim Lahaye" Another great book I am also working on is a riveting story about 9/11 fiction but with the real backdrop of 9/11 "One Tuesday Morning"
by Karen Kingsbury. I also like a real good scare. I see lots of Koontz readers that will scare ya. This week end at camp I scared my self silly reading. "All Alone" I love mysteries.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JeanH

North San Diego County, CA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  8:01:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished Undue Influence by Steve Martini. It's a mystery with a lawyer as the main character. A lot of courtroom scenes, but they're interesting in showing all the prepping and stagework involved in trying to give juries certain impressions (whether they're actually true or even related to the case). Anyway, I understand this is one novel of many about this particular lawyer, but it doesn't seem that you have to read them in any order. I chose this one by reading the reviews at paperbackswap.com .

Jean Hutchins
GOLD CERTIFIED
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  10:19:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. I don't know how much license he took in this story (how much he strayed from what the life of a real geisha is), but it certainly makes a very believable picture. I enjoy books about other cultures that give one insight into how people think in other parts of the world. "The Good Earth" and "Things Fall Apart" are two others I've enjoyed within the past year.
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  08:35:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read James Patterson's 3rd Strike in one day. I couldn't put it down. Now I'm reading Dean Konntz' Tick Tock. I'm picking up the new Potter this weekend. I'll probably skip that to the front of the list. One of my co-workers read it straight through in 9 hours!

Katrina
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums