Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Random Thoughts
 What Is The Weirdiest Gift You Ever Received for Valentines Day?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  2:21:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, how does this guy resist? I would be a slave for life for homemade sourdough bread and brownies! Maybe he's holding out for handmade fudge truffles...
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  3:59:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So, ya'll think I should propose and if he seems reluctant, let him know it is me and the brownies or nothing?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  4:51:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nah... no need to propose, Jnanne. Just tell him that all the post offices in your town burned down, and that he is just gonna have to come to you from now on to get his brownies and heart-shaped spice bread!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  02:28:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What a relief, Natalie! I'm not sure I'll ever be ready to do that again, despite Olivia's daily plugs for me to marry and give her a baby brother or sister, which she promises to help care for (sounding much like a kid begging for a dog).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  11:26:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne,

Some men just can't consider a woman as a serious romantic prospect if he didn't feel any chemistry in person. Could that possibly be the case?

The problem, though, is there's always the possibility that chemistry might happen upon your next in-person meeting. It's been known to happen. Now that you've spent all this time getting to know each other, it's far more likely.

I don't think proposing to him is the best idea, but suggesting that the two of you meet in person again IS a good idea. Maybe he's just waiting for you to ask. The worst that could happen is he'll say no, and nothing will change.

If you two decide to meet in person again, I would suggest YOU traveling to see him, rather than the other way around. That way you can leave if any problem arises (instead of trying to get him to leave, which might not work). Also, by going to him, you'll see how he lives. You can always negotiate who pays for the trip (I'd suggest splitting it 50/50, then see what he says).

Go for it! Then let us know what happens! I can't wait to hear!

Back to the original topic, I think the weirdest Valentine's Day 'gift' I ever received was a stack of junky paperwork on my doorstep from my ex (who shouldn't have been coming anywhere near me according to our divorce agreement). However, I don't exactly consider stalking to be a gift.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  12:51:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a caseload of guys who have a gift for stalking!!

And from what he has said in his messages, I thought there was chemistry. But then, maybe it was just wishful thinking. My sister has volunteered to watch Olivia if I ever go down to visit for a few days. I was thinking of seeing if he wanted to meet half-way, like in Memphis or Nashville. He did invite me to stop by during my vacation two summers ago when I was traveling down south, but I was with a friend from college and was already subjecting a then 3-year-old to a very long car trip. Maybe this summer we'll visit the same friend who has moved to Little Rock. That's closer to Louisiana than East Tennessee, where we were last time. We'll see.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

g8r_Michelle
Contributor

Panama City, FL
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  3:07:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Weirdest Valetines Day gift???
I'd have to say the 3 foot California King snake would have to be up there! I made the mistake of telling my husband that I thought they were 'pretty' in the middle of his snake-breeding kick. Thank God that hobby only lasted 2 years!
In his defense, it was a really beautiful snake - good coloring and all, but it was meaner than a..... well, you know.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  04:25:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What a trip down memory lane this topic has turned out to be! And now I am married to the wonderful man in question, even though we are still waiting for the church wedding. And all those fantastically perfect gifts he gave me over the years? He had been lurking here, reading the gift exchange threads to find out what I like. Be careful what you write, ladies!!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Maureen5360
Star Contributor

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  1:12:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My weirdest gift was once a gallon jar of marinated artichoke hearts. I was doing a shop at a store that caterers and restaurants go to and noticed that they carried very interesting things there. People from the public could shop there too and I had commented to my husband that they had artichokes there. Fast forward to Valentine's Day and there sits a jar on the table with a red bow stuck onto the cap. Iloved it.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  3:52:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, Mr. Romantic is alive and well. My husband came home from work yesterday with a vase of flowers for me and one for our daughter. He took us out for pizza and made arrangements for the two of us to have a date on Saturday while his mom watches Olivia. I guess this is not really on topic, as there is nothing weird about any of that!

Edited to add: Okay--my daughter gave us both a home-made pinata and an opportunity to find her in a hide-and-seek game. Guess that might qualify as weird. She filled a cereal box (rescued from the trash) with candy left over from Halloween, covered it with paper and heavy duty packing tape, and wrote a note on it. Then she left a letter telling us to find her while she hid behind the barca lounger in the living room, giggling. It is amazing how long it takes to find a giggling girl! She thought we would never discover her spot!!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  3:29:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Velly interesting!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  07:17:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had an ex boyfriend who use to give me snowballs. Yes, snowballs...those horrible coconut cakes (or whatever they are) they sell in convenience stores.
Well, my mistake was letting him think I liked them (I think it was on our second date) and so for years and years for every holiday he'd buy me these disgusting things. Pink ones for Valentine's Day. Green one for Saint Patty's and so on. Once I had a friend over and she opened my freezer to get some ice and all the snowballs started falling out (I hid them there).
Finally after four or five years of dating, we got into an argument and I opened the freezer and started throwing them out, yelling that "by the way I HATE snowballs!"
He was so surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  06:23:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The radio topic as I was taking my daughter to school today was what not to buy a woman for Valentine's Day. Top of the list: Generic red roses with baby's breath and heart-shaped box of chocolates. The (female) D.J. said it is better to give her favorite flowers and her favorite chocolates and her (male) partner didn't agree, saying those were less expensive and therefore not acceptable. He didn't get that we'd prefer to believe our husband's know us well enough to be able to identify what we like and not waste money on what we don't. (He's in his 50's and never been married).

Next on the list was skimpy lingerie because it's really a gift for him and that if you get a size too small, it means she's getting fat, but if you get a size too big it means you believe she is fat. Poor guy can't win either way!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums