Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Random Thoughts
 Typing Words Per Minute - What Is A Good Number?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  4:55:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay, this may be a dumb question. I am in the middle of signing up for a merchandising company, and one of the questions is 'how many words can you type per minute.'
I have no idea, so I did a quick search, found an online test, took it (a few times) and averaged 75. My question is: what is bad, good, or average? I could NOT find the answer. I found weird sites, like the guy who can type 60 wpm with ONE hand, but not just a normal answer. Anyone know the answer

Thanks,
Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.

Terri-CA
Star Contributor

CA
USA
272 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  5:03:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon! 75 is a super number. I think the county tests where I live require a 45 wpm with no errors certificate. You should be stoked about the 75! WTG!
Go to Top of Page

.Allison near Toronto
Inactive

Toronto, ON
Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  5:17:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, Terri's right. I think 75 wpm is way above average. I worked in an office where 35 wpm was considered minimum. Anything below that was considered bad, and anything between and that and 50 wpm was considered average/good. 75 wpm is quite a fast typing speed and I'm sure would meet criteria for just about anything. There are some places that require 80 wpm and higher, but those are usually for things like straight transcription where all you ever do is type!

Allison
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  5:30:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for stroking my ego!
I took typing in high school and did okay, but in college, I had a few classes where all our notes HAD to be typed, so I just learned to do it quickly.
But the goofy thing is that the job I am applying for involves doing store set-ups, resets, and other manual labor that have nothing to do with typing at all. Go figure!

Sharon

Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  5:51:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SharonQ, that is really good! A lot of places require between 25 to 40 so you are really SMOKING!!!! (in a good way)

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  02:40:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote

My sister types at 110 per minute she was also a sectary so she had to type fast, and with long nails to boot. I do 80. But I have been at it a while.

Your doing real good at 75.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  04:12:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As I recall, back when I was about 20 (which was [cough][cough]25 years ago[cough][cough]), most job applications asked for a minimum typing speed of 45-60 words a minute (that was for the higher-end to very top jobs, like legal secretaries, medical transcriptionists, etc.).

Now that we don't use manual typewriters anymore and practically EVERYONE (who works in an office) types for a living, the minimum expectation has inched up to roughly 60-75 words a minute, and some legal firms and medical places want 80 or more.

It all depends on the job expectations of course, but that's the trend I've seen happening over the past 25 years.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  09:56:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
75 wpm is awesome!!

Keyboarding is one of the classes I teach along with the Microsoft applications. For anyone who wants to improve their typing, there are many programs you can buy. We use "Typing Quick & Easy." I believe it is in the $29 range and you can find it anywhere that sells software. It tracks/graphs your progress, has a series of tutorials and tests at different levels, such as easy words, difficult words, sentences, and sentences with numbers and symbols. It also has games that require typing to shoot ducks, climb mountains and a few others.
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  3:58:42 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
To save myself time from having to do the searching: do you remember the site of the online test? I am curious to know how fast I can type?
Go to Top of Page

.Carla Thompson
Inactive

Wichita, KS
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  5:35:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
http://www.learn2type.com/TypingTest

I went from typing around 13wpm without looking at the keys (I cheated in typing class!) to 51wpm in 3 months! I had a choice of a free program when I bought my computer and I chose "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing." It has been so helpful to me! It sounds like the one posted above is very similar, and I think "Mavis Beacon" costs around $20.

Carla Thompson
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  07:02:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well there are many many sites to look try. But the one I used was:

http://www.careerstep.com/typeintro.html

Thanks again for the help!
Sharon

Go to Top of Page

MariJ73
Valued Contributor

NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  9:18:52 PM  Visit MariJ73's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I scored 46 wpm (after taking 1 off for errors). Not too bad for someone who types with 3 or 4 fingers, right?!

Mari
Go to Top of Page

DeborahW
Star Contributor

Bellevue, WA
USA
778 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  08:13:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gross words per minute: 96
Net words per minute: 95

Smokin' you guys!

MSPA Gold Certified
Specializing in hotel, restaurant and bar shops in Seattle and the Eastside since 2004
Go to Top of Page

PaulG
Valued Contributor

AL
USA
101 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  7:21:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought I was hot stuff, but I guess not.

GWPM: 64, NWPM: 64

MSPA Silver Cert.
Go to Top of Page

Molly Brown
Star Contributor

HI
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  03:43:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
wow...you all have nitrous in your fingers or something... I gotta take the typing test and see if I can catch up with everyone..

I know my sis types over 100 wpm...she also plays the piano, I think it helps her type faster.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2871 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  04:41:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I took two tests. One timed me at 62 wpm and the other at 67. I am so bummed. I realize it has been decades since high school, but back then I typed 90. Guess arthritis plays a part. Yeah, that's right. I'll blame it on the arthritis!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  06:02:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's funny I know I can type fast, in fact people often comment on it but I do horribly on the typing tests, they make me so nervous that I can't type, kinda like when someone stands over my shoulder and watches me type, I get all messed up.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1017 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  5:08:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I was in typing class in High School I was typing 35 wpm on a manual typewriter. My instructor always emphasized that we should strive for "accuracy" and speed would follow naturally. When I applied for my first job at 17-1/2 I typed 37. I started as a statistical typist and typed mostly numbers. In six months I was timed at 76 wpm. Within one year I was clocked at 120.

I could type for hours without making a typographical error. I had followed my teacher's instructions and strived to be an accurate typist and the speed did follow, just like he said.

To this day I am a very fast typist but I have lost some of my speed because my fingers are not as nimble. But I love, love, love to type (and I love typing numbers). I always have. So the reports, narratives, etc, that come with mystery shopping are fun for me.

But in answer to the original question, I believe 70 is considered to be an excellent typing speed - accurate of course.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
61751 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  6:10:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
http://www.typingtest.com/

This is a fun test. I average 78 WPM...but I had three mistakes. I took it again and it was 70 WPM.

You pick the topic, has an automatic timer. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

AndreaGayle
Star Contributor

MD
USA
350 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  07:55:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This sounds fun, can't wait to try it! Might be good for my kids to try to practice their typing skills.

Andrea Gayle
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2009 :  4:01:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As Juanita can confirm, one's typing speed is much faster on a keyboard than the old manual typewriters us older folks used when we were younger. It used to take strength to press the key down to make sure it "typed" clearly and evenly. Computer keyboards allow you too correct easily as you go dramatically increasing accuracy and speed. I took typing in Jr. High and my class was just before lunch. We could leave class early if we finished our exercises quickly. The hungry stomach and the smell of food was a great incentive to improve typing speed and accuracy!

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums