Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What Are Your Favorite MOVIES Of All Time?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  09:35:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Leisa,

I must second A Thing Called Love. I love this movie and I think Samantha Mathis is an awesome actress.

Jen

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  11:51:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll add my vote for "Lord of the Rings" (the entire trilogy). I was skeptical that anyone could ever do justice to those books on film, but I was truly impressed.

A few other favorites:
Spider-Man
Star Trek: Nemesis (probably the best of the Trek films)
Gladiator
Princess Bride
Dirty Dancing (not because it was a spectacular piece of film-making; it wasn't. But it was the first date my husband took me on so it has pleasant memories. Not to mention, I loved the music and really liked the main character "Baby". The story-line itself I had some problems with, but I still like to watch it.)

My husband's favorite films would have to include:
The Blues Brothers and
every James Bond film ever made!
I wouldn't call them my favorites, but I enjoy watching with him!
Go to Top of Page

.Dawn DE
Inactive

DE
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  12:19:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Sound of Music, the first movie I ever saw in a theater, a classic
Animal House, I LMBO, no matter that I've seen it a thousand times
Tootsie
Tombstone
Willow
Thunderheart
, the last three largely due to Val Kilmer
Gross Pointe Blank
In and Out, and almost anything else with either John or Joan Cusack
Witness
A Few Good Man, classic Jack, and a baby faced Noah Wylie
Holy Grail
A Fish Called Wanda

Fierce Creatures, and almost anything else from the Monty Python crew
Sleeping With the Enemy, I have to admit that I dislike Julia Roberts, I just kept rooting for her husband to kill her and be done with it. I am probably the only woman in America who has never seen Pretty Woman or Steele Magnolias, and it's just because she's in it.
Moonstruck
Raising Arizona
Guarding Tess
Valley Girls

Face Off (OK, it's a Nicholas Cage thing)
My Cousin Vinnie, Yeah, you blend.........
The Hunger
The Lost Boys
(two great vampire movies)
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham , Kevin Costner should stick to baseball movies, except
Dances With Wolves, the first movie my husband and I saw together
A League of Their Own, another great baseball movie.

Most recently, I was really surprised how much I liked Pirates of the Caribbean. My teenager loved it in the theater, so we got her the DVD for Christmas. I watched it twice in one day, and I can't remember the last time I did that. My shock of the day is seeing Bill Murray in the same sentence as Oscar Nominated. Has anyone seen Lost in Translation?

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

Harry J
Contributor

Smyrna, TN
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  1:35:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dawn, you listed baseball movies and left off The Natural? I didn't list it as a favorite, but what an ending!

I also liked Pirates of the Caribbean. I didn't realize until just last month that William Cunningham in Pirates is also Legolas in LOTR. Once I thought about it, it was obvious, but when I first heard it I was amazed.

Harry
Newly shopping in middle Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

SandyMcMahan
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  3:00:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like the Green Mile (Made me choke up a few times, lol, I'm a whimp)

"Hug someone today, it will make them smile"
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  11:57:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Harry, but Orlando Bloom plays Legolas in Lord Of The Rings.

http://www.lordoftherings.net/film/cast/ca_obloo.html

He plays Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325980/

Another interesting contrast, in case you don't know this one, is that Hugo Weaving, who played Elrond, the head of the Elves in Lord Of The Rings, is the same guy who played Agent Smith in The Matrix, etal.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915989/

Want to see something funny? Check this out (keep scrolling down and read the whole thing):

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flickfilos/articles/smithvsfotr.shtml

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

.Dawn DE
Inactive

DE
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  06:06:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, I have never seen The Natural. I will put it on my "must see" list. Thanks, Harry.

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  06:44:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I forgot a couple...

Rain Man
Coming to America

Ray... I am assuming that your statement about Moonstruck "no Italian would agree" might be due to "stereotypes". I am 25% Italian, but loved it, and I found no "offense" in the characters. I think it was done in a charming manner....no mafia stuff!!
My favorite line - "Old man, if you keep feeding those dogs my food...Im gonna kick ya, till ya dead"
I, too.... drop sugar cubes in my Asti Spumante
Go to Top of Page

Harry J
Contributor

Smyrna, TN
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  11:32:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Linda, my thought was correct, but my post was wrong, I meant Will Turner, not William Cunningham.

Now that I've made my one annual mistake, I can be perfect for the remainder of 2004.

Harry
Newly shopping in middle Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  10:07:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey, Harry, did you read the last link I posted? It's funny, but you have to read the whole thing (especially the very bottom!). If you haven't seen The Matrix etal AND Lord Of The Rings etal, you might not get all the jokes, though . . . you really need to be familiar with all 6 movies (or at least most of them, anyway).

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  05:45:03 AM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have different favorites depending on my mood ... but one of my all time favorites is a sappy, silly, love story ... GREEN CARD - http://www.epinions.com/content_43631480452

I've seen it so many times I've lost count. I've owned two copied of it on tape ... yet I still stop and watch it if I'm ever flipping the channels on the TV and run across it! *lol* I absolutely love Gérard Depardieu

Another of my favorites is Rob Roy with Liam Neeson ... which a lot of people say they don't even remember ... but it came out around the same time as BraveHeart and they sort of have SLIGHTLY similar story lines ... though Rob Roy is much more of a 'personal' story whereas Brave Heart is a more grande and epic one. Anyway, if you've never seen it, it's DEFINITELY worth renting ... and if you're an emotional sort, pick up a box of Kleenex too!

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  05:58:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In mixology (bartending) a "Rob Roy" is the name of a mixed drink ( a Scotch Manhattan). Before the movie, it was usually ordered by "old timers" but became "hot" after the movies' release. Don't know how Rob Roy did in theatres' but it was a hit, in bars.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  07:50:19 AM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ColleenNYC

In mixology (bartending) a "Rob Roy" is the name of a mixed drink ( a Scotch Manhattan). Before the movie, it was usually ordered by "old timers" but became "hot" after the movies' release. Don't know how Rob Roy did in theatres' but it was a hit, in bars.

Yeah ... this was a Double-ICK!!! for me ... I don't care for scotch at all ... and I never really liked a Manhattan ... so I knew from the get-go that I wouldn't care for a Rob Roy ... but hubby ordered one a while back just to see what it was like ... I don't think he cared much for it either. I'm sort of surprised that there was any connection between the movie and the drink becoming more popular ... but I guess it was just a matter of name recognition ... or maybe curiosity! *lol*

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  08:38:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very true Elaine!! It was a hit...until most people tasted it.

Go to Top of Page

SusanFlores

Spring, TX
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  09:33:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a hard time sitting still for movies and television, but I do have one favorite movie: "Raising Arizona" ! :o)
Go to Top of Page

KelliSoCal

Anaheim Hills, CA
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  10:22:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like all sorts of movies..

Interview With a Vampire
Dirty Dancing
Merlin
The Mists of Avalon
Dracula
Grease
Secretary
Pretty Woman
Moulin Rouge
The Blair Witch Project (as a comedy!)

[ Shopping Orange County, CA | MSPA Gold Certified ]
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  2:52:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've got to stick one more movie in here because that new thread about Groundhog Day reminded me: I love the movie "Groundhog Day"!
Go to Top of Page

ChristieG
Star Contributor

Germantown, MD
USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  3:24:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I loved:
Rain Man
Pay It Forward

Ques For Ray: I saw your post saying that you watch 2 movies a day...Do you earn a living doing that or is it a hobby? Im new here, so Im trying to get to know all of you!
Go to Top of Page

BethZ
Valued Contributor

Ellijay, GA
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  03:43:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Overboard
The Birdcage
The Lost Boys
North and South

BethZ Happily shopping North Georgia and silver certified
# rnxu51
Go to Top of Page

DeanaCal
Contributor

Citrus Heights, CA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  06:47:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SFlores - "Give me back my baby you warthog from Hell!" I crack up every time I hear that line!

Also I loved the Star Trek movies, especially Generations, I think. Loved Data dealing with his emotion chip and Troi drunk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums