Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Deanna
Contributor

Hamilton, OH
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  7:09:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone participating in the Homescan Panel for ACNielsen? My husband received an invitation to apply in the mail. (You need the control number from the form to apply, even on line, so application appears to be by invitation only.) The brochure indicates you will scan UPCs and earn points to be redeemed from a catalog. I thought there might be a thread here, but could only find one about a similar panel. I was wondering if anyone had worked with this company, and whether they thought it was worth the trouble. Thanks!

link here
http://www.volition.com/opinions.html

MSPA Gold Certified #ct8cxq
Shopping Hamilton, Fairfield, West Chester and the northern Cincinnati suburbs.

CherylW
Valued Contributor

Riverview, FL
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  03:56:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The company itself is a very reputable company. I have not been invited for the program you are talking about, but I was asked to join the internet market research panel. I declined because I did not want them keeping track of everything I did online. They are a market research company that keeps track of what people are doing, watching, buying, etc. There are tons of people that have the box on their tv so this company can put out the Nielsen tv ratings. If you are comfortable with the privacy issue, then I say go for it. The company has been around for a long time and I'm sure they have confidentiality as a top priority or they wouldn't have been in the business as long as they have been.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Denise62702
Contributor

Springfield, Illinois
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  11:26:03 AM  Visit Denise62702's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I joined the Homescan panel like 6 months ago, they even send you surveys by mail to use with the scanner you get. They also send out email surveys. You get like 500 points for them. So far I have collected 13,450 points. They give you a booklet with your initial shipment which is all free of charge... You can pick from all kinds of stuff. They dont offer cash, but they have nice prizes. you can email lmorrison@acnielsen.com for more info.. and if you want any more info from me just post and let me know. I like this Panel, Its really fun to do!
Denise

Denise
Go to Top of Page

JKidder
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, MI
USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  12:11:15 PM  Send JKidder an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
How do you become a panelist? I am doing the internet thing for Nielson right now but want to become a Homescan Panelist as well.
Go to Top of Page

Denise62702
Contributor

Springfield, Illinois
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  12:30:27 PM  Visit Denise62702's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I signed up on a website, but I dont remember which ones. I believe you have to be invited by homescan. I got 2 email invitations the last few days and I have already been a member for 6 months or so. Try to email lmorrison@acnielsen.com and ask how.

Denise

Denise
Go to Top of Page

.AmyLynn
Inactive

UK and
USA
613 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  2:14:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I emailed and got this reply

Thank you for your interest in joining the Homescan Consumer Panel. We often receive this request, but unfortunately we cannot offer panel membership to everyone. In order to provide quality market research, households must be selected on a random basis. To participate, you must receive a direct mail invitation from the Homescan Consumer Panel. This ensures that every household in the country has an equal chance of being selected, and that our sample truly reflects the total U.S. population.

If a place on the Homescan Consumer Panel opens up for a household like yours in your geographic area in the future, you may receive our recruitment materials. Thank you again for your interest.

Amy Lynn
««ALVO Certified»»
Go to Top of Page

Deanna
Contributor

Hamilton, OH
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  6:47:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since we received the mailing, I did go online and fill out the application. It said we would be placed in a pool for when they need someone in our area. I'll post if I hear back from them.

Go to Top of Page

PhyllisM
Valued Contributor

Las Vegas, NV
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  10:39:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I signed up for this and received an email back that stated when something opens up in my zip code I will be hearing from them. This doesn't seem too time consuming.

Phyllis Monkiewicz District Supervisor/Las Vegas
Source Interlink
Go to Top of Page

Denise62702
Contributor

Springfield, Illinois
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  4:29:09 PM  Visit Denise62702's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh Its FUN :) But one thing.. If you dont transmit your scans by phone (toll free number) for 3 weeks, you will be asked to send the scanner back after your 5th week of not scanning. If you ever need anything they give you a toll free number to call. you can also email, or fax them. I go shopping tomorrow so I will be busy scanning lots of stuff

Denise

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Denise62702
Contributor

Springfield, Illinois
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  02:38:08 AM  Visit Denise62702's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thought I would share this with the people thinking of joining, or they are already a member. Today I recieved an additional keychain scanner to scan all the drinks I buy and consume. You can have one for each member of your household. each member will recieve 100 points a week that will be on their regular monthly statement. It hooks up to your PC via a usb port and you install the software that they give you the link to in your welcome package. Its really easy and it racks up points quicker. I have been a member of the regular scan panel for a year now and I have about 15,000 points. I may get my book out tomorrow and order a prize or just wait. If you are a member just email Lynne and ask her about it... I got a survey in the mail and did it online to join myself.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Donna_KY

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  6:29:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever discover how to register to get in there "pool"?

Thanks,
Donna :)

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Denise62702
Contributor

Springfield, Illinois
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  05:58:21 AM  Visit Denise62702's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got an email asking me to join today, even tho I am already a member, I thought I would share the URL with everyone interested. :) Here is the url for the signup page for the Homescan online Panel

http://www.homescansignup.com/index.asp?id=70

Denise
Go to Top of Page

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  07:15:50 AM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received an invitation to join their internet market research panel. Just like Cheryl, I did not want to be tracked for everything I do on the internet. I did sign up for the waiting list of the Homescan Consumer Panel. It seems this program is a bit different. Thanks Denise for the link

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw
Go to Top of Page

Denise62702
Contributor

Springfield, Illinois
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  5:01:35 PM  Visit Denise62702's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
You are welcome too :) They also send out surveys in the mail as well as by email. They are anywhere from 300 to 500 points. I have a beverage scanner also that gives me 100 points a week extra.. If the whole family is on the beverage panel, each person can earn you 100 points. They sent me a survey invite for the beverage panel, so I dont know how you can join that unless you are invited also, but if I find the link I will post it.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

PhyllisM
Valued Contributor

Las Vegas, NV
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  4:14:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just received my scanner today, did the initial set-up and scanned some groceries. Very simple. The only problem is that you can't scan fruits and vegetables because they do not have a barcode.

Phyllis Monkiewicz District Supervisor/Las Vegas
Source Interlink
Go to Top of Page

Deanna
Contributor

Hamilton, OH
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  5:09:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received the Homescan package in the mail Wednesday, December 15. There was no advance notification before its arrival. It took 10.5 months from when I responded to their invitation before we were placed on the panel.

My first impression is that it will take over a year to earn enough points to select a prize, and many prizes might take two years or more to earn. Earning maximum points results from regular, consistant participation. For this panel you scan everything you purchase, and most of the stores I visited this week required entering prices. I project that I might be earning the equivalent of $1 per hour in prizes. It looks like this is something to do because you like to provide consumer input, as the prizes won't add up very quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Dannie138

Rhode Island
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  06:27:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got my scanner yesterday! Yeah!

I was wondering if you transmit data every time you shop or if you do it all at once, once a week.

This seems pretty easy...anyone get any prizes yet? My husband is a little skeptical because some prizes, like the Coach watch, take 166,000 points...seems that it would take forever!
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50241 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  06:14:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think these scanning companies are a complete invasion of privacy. However, you choose to sign up with them. So we are waiving any privacy rights. I signed up with one and when I saw the amount of points you needed to get anything of real value and the amount of time involved I decided it was not worth it.

What else is that little box you plug into your phone line monitoring?
You will also get other stuff from them requesting you to scan other items and do other jobs.

To me, it is just not worth the time or effort involved. But that is just my
Go to Top of Page

JKidder
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, MI
USA
173 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  09:09:32 AM  Send JKidder an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree with you on the time factor. But think you are too paranoid about the whole privacy thing. It is against the law for them to do that without your consent. You can sue them. I don't think they want that. Do you?
Go to Top of Page

LorrieJ

Portland, OR
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  09:10:43 AM  Visit LorrieJ's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been doing Shopper's Hotline for awhile and like it a lot. I'm thinking about doing the ACNielson if the prizes are better to me!

About invasion of privacy: If you have a driver's license, SSN, any kind of public or government ID, or are a homeowner, etc., there are a lot of people that know or have access to knowing all about you, so if market research companies are added to the group, it really doesn't make that much difference, IMO.

Lorrie
Go to Top of Page

Deanna
Contributor

Hamilton, OH
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:09:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There seems to be some question/confusion as to how information is transmitted to AC Nielson. Once a week, the information in the scanner is uploaded thru the internet, via a cable attached to the USB port. There is nothing to plug into the phone line.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums