Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

B. Mary

Denver, Colorado
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  8:12:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm really bummed out that this
[ http://forum.volition.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=849&whichpage=13&SearchTerms=shoppers,Hotline ] marvelous company has been "consumed" by Nielsen Homescan.

My only suggestion would be that all of us who have been invited to join NHP (now that the far superior Shoppers Hotline is gone) only do so if NHP changes their rewards system to include cash cards like Shoppers Hotline did.

Of course, now that NHP is the "only game in town," they've probably got even less incentive to properly incentivize their members. Plus there will be the fact that a whole bunch of people who've never belonged to the better company won't realize that they're being asked to spend a whole bunch of time for sub-standard rewards.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3118 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  08:02:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Of course, now that NHP is the "only game in town," they've probably got even less incentive to properly incentivize their members."

I'm bummed out, too. I used to do both. I had never been able to find anything with NHP I wanted. I find their rewards catalog somewhat limited and not very rewarding for the time put in. I was about to throw in the towel when our microwave started sparking and they had a fitting one on their rewards list. I just needed about a thousand reward points more to get it. Once I got to that I went to redeem and the microwave was gone. I figured I missed out but checked back a month later. It was back but cost 10,000 reward points more. I checked other items and noticed the 'price' had gone up. Now, I'm working towards that microwave but I'm thinking I'll be done after that. They used to send out little 'trinkets' here and there years ago. I have a blanket, a flashlight, a little ipod size transistor radio. It kind of kept me going. But since I realized that stopped, well, it's not worth the time and effort, if you scan purchases for a family of five.

I was also irritated that they wanted me to download a program so they could track my internet habits and the sites and their ads that I visit. Even worse they wanted me to put a small device on the kids to track what ads they are exposed to while watching educational programs in school, listening to the radio on the school bus, in the store, etc. NO THANKS!

I think I'm done after I got my 'reward' or if they raise the 'price' for it again. Whatever comes first.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1558 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  3:16:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
At the moment I'm trying to decide if I'll continue when I move to be able to redeem something or when I get closer to moving, just send everything back and be done.
Go to Top of Page

B. Mary

Denver, Colorado
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  7:27:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Perhaps if long-time, disappointed NHP members, and long-time, totally UN-impressed Shoppers Hotline members keep repeating these negative comments here on the "Feedback requested" topic, enough people will give up that Nielsen will see the light of day and change their rewards program.

Meanwhile, it's particularly exasperating that, even if NHP were worth signing up for, even long-time members of Shoppers Hotline have to "get in line" to apply for membership in NHP.

Merging the two companies should not come at the expense of people who have for years been loyal to the company being taken over.

Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot that that's the way "big business" works: "fairness" has always and will always be given short shrift.
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer27
Trainee

Astoria, NY
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  10:50:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been with Nielsen since August of 2006, though I wasn't very consistent with scanning for awhile. Everything is a little easier for me because I am in a one person household and buy fewer things (though it has made me aware that I shop a LOT more than I thought I did).

Some people have said that it sounds like it would take a very long time to earn anything. I have not found that to be the case. They give you points for scanning each week plus points for if you scan all weeks in a month. There are three kinds of surveys for which you can get points: The monthly survey, of which there is one, shopping surveys which you may get based on what you buy and then other surveys. I get six or seven surveys a month, but it varies. In addition, I've been asked to be on two different panels (lasting several months) and I got points every week for those and then points for if I answered the questions each week in a month. On average, I earn ~2,700 points a month.

In the past year, I've gotten a stick vacuum cleaner, a carbon monoxide/smoke detector, and I'm about a month away from getting a Nike golf umbrella. I agree that I would rather have access to gift cards, but I've been able to find things that I can use/want.

If I were to sit and analyze it, it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort, except that I kind of like doing it.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3118 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:59:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's a lot of stuff for a family of five, for the same point value as for a one person household. I liked the other program better because in terms of value it paid more. It wasn't only the cash but also that you got more for less effort. If you can find stuff on their list you like, good for you. I don't have a use for a golf umbrella, carbon monoxide/smoke detector, or stick vacuum. Others do. That's fine. But I can find more valuable stuff to do for the time I have to invest.

And no, I'm still not close to that microwave. By the time I am, they'll likely want more points for it.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1558 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  4:47:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've decided that with an impending move (hubby got a new job and we're moving about 5 hrs away for his job) that I'm not continuing with this. Now if I can just find out how to mail the scanner back.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1130 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  6:53:24 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
From the monthly newsletter email:
quote:
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions, please visit www.ncponline.com, choose the Support Center tab, and complete the automated e-mail form. NOTE: In the form, it's very important that you choose the correct subject. This is the only way our representatives will be able to respond to your question quickly and accurately. color You may also call the Panel Support Center at 1-800-962-6700; please have your panelist ID number (xxxxxxxx) handy for the representative.

Thank you!

My experience is they will mail you a return label and provide you verbal instructions if you call them. They paid shipping. Turning in your scanner leaves you 60 days to use your points or forget it.

In my case, it was a unit swap. All went well.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums