Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  05:37:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I fell skating and bruised ribs last night. I had no idea how many muscles and areas can hurt at once. I hate to sneeze does anybody have ideas on how to ease pain. I have pain killers but hate to overdo that.

Sandy C

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3118 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  05:54:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I have not suggestions regarding the pain. Hope you'll feel better soon.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Jen_in_MD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  06:16:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ouch, Sandy. I know that's got to be painful! Definitely take some ibuprofen and use a heating pad on the areas that are sore. A warm bath might provide some relief, as well. I hope you feel better soon!

MSPA Gold certified: #5bqyg3
Specializing in hotel, spa, and fine dining evaluations throughout MD, DC, and Northern VA
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  7:30:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When you're sitting, have a firm pillow nearby. Clutch it to your ribs when you have to sneeze, cough, etc. And inform your family that the first one to make you laugh gets extra chores for a year! The laughing is the worst.

Grab a good book and spend most of the next week in a warm bath :-).

Julie
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  7:32:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was told that a warm bath will aggravate it. After my accident two weeks ago, I was instructed to use cold packs on the pain. This shocked me cause a warm bath seemed like the natural thing to do. Glad I didn't! I would check with your doctor to see what they advise you to do. I can relate as I was stiff and very sore. I hated to move and getting out of bed was difficult. It will get better with time though!

Check this out:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_ribinjur_sma.htm

How is it treated?
To help your injury heal, your provider may recommend that you:

Rest.
Put an ice pack over the injured rib for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days or until the pain goes away.
Take an anti-inflammatory or other pain medicine.
Wear a rib belt, which your health care provider may suggest for very painful injuries. The belt works as a girdle for your chest and helps support your ribs. It limits movement of your ribs when you cough, breathe, or move your body in other ways. This helps decrease pain. If you wear a rib belt, your provider will give you breathing exercises to help you avoid lung complications.

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  03:20:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all those helpful ideas, and warm thoughts. Mrs Kenna thanks for posting that article. I have never had children so I can't compare that pain. This however ranks right up there with an absessed tooth. I am feeling better then the day of the fall. Thanks for all your kind words.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  03:53:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What a timely topic. Thank you for the tips. I missed a step in my house and bam, I was down 3 steps, landed on my arse and snapped back to hit my back/lower ribcage into a step. Talk about breath taking!
It hurts everywhere, getting out of bed is the pits. I have been taking motrin 800. Muscle relaxers made me dizzy. I also made sure to go to the YMCA to walk but not overdo it. Oh yes, ice felt good too. I'm not in such excrutiating pain 2.5 days later but you should see the 1x6 purple bruise on my tush.
Go to Top of Page

MindyG
Star Contributor

Goldsboro, NC
USA
251 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:54:44 AM  Visit MindyG's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
A doctor told me once when I injured my wrist that even though a heat pad may aleviate the pain some, ice packs would reduce the swelling and help the injury to help quicker. Just my

Mindy Godinez
Go to Top of Page

WilliamJ
Contributor

Dunmore, PA
USA
80 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  4:27:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alternate between heat and cold...that will help.

You can always ask your doc for a skeletal muscle relaxer (flexeril comes to mind)that can ease the pain without gooning you!

The only thing worse than bruised ribs are broken ribs or a broken collarbone.

Shopping The Poconos and Northeastern Pennsylvania
MSPA Silver
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  02:04:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ice is always good for any injury . . . heat, however, could be good or bad, depending on the circumstances. I don't know the details on heat, but I know absolutely it's safe to say that ice will always make it feel better until you can see a doctor and let him/her tell you whether heat will help.

NEVER, EVER put heat on something you're not sure about. ALWAYS put ice on until told otherwise by a healthcare professional.

Ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are both good anti-inflammatories, and naproxen sodium works better for me at killing pain. Everyone is different, so ibuprofen might be better for you. I just know that when ibuprofen stopped working to alleviate my cramps and/or muscle aches and pains, I switched to naproxen sodium, and that does the trick far better.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  8:33:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My dad has both a broken collarbone and bruised ribs. It amazes
me how he can tolerate the pain without painkillers. Guess I am
a bit of a pain weenie!!!

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  12:03:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
At the time I wrote this I thought I just bruised my ribs till I saw the doc. I broke one rib and tore an intercostal muscle which is worse in some ways. I have twinges still to this day. If I lay the wrong way I can still get a pinch. Jan I needed pain killers because when I bent over I thought my chest would rip open thats what the pain felt like. I held my arm around my ribs when I moved and slept on a slant because I could not lie flat for months. Your dad must be made of tough stuff. I would think the collar bone would heart. You move your shoulder a lot more then you know.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  10:24:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can sympathize with you on the twinges. I have a very mysterious
twinge that pops up in my right side every now and then. The pain
is so awful that it just about takes my breath away. I always
hope that I am not out in public when it happens,because sometimes
it makes me yell!!!

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums